Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this gem awhile back with plans to put it on a kick only Ironhead (my next project). A few people I've shown it to say its a very rare find.

Anyone have any concrete info on its origin? Irish Rich mentioned it may possibly be a Smith Bros & Fetrow or maybe even early Drag Specialties piece but didnt know for sure.

If anyone knows or might know someone who would know, I'd appreciate any info on its history. (make & approx age...)

Thanks,
Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the Harpoon said:
I know you need to talk to Chopperdave, of chopperdaves casting Co. about making some more of those.
Sure, you never know. It may take some bartering though. I kind of like the idea that no one else has this piece. :D

I liked it so damn much that I got it before even finding an Ironhead to put it on. I actually still havent seeked one out but this cover is what made me decide to do an Ironhead. When I saw it, I couldnt let someone else get it.

Really do want to find out the history of it though. Half the coolness of having this thing would be knowing the story of it.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
The far right is your "Collector Series" cover..!

This "New product" ad is out of a Street Chopper from '79...

The larger page is out of a S.I.E. catalog from '78, and they are talking about MPD ...

I guess it's MPD and also distributed by Concord...
My buddy Jac has a brand new one, same as yours, hanging on his wall for ages now..I think he never used it...(pictures later this week)

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Danny F. said:
The far right is your "Collector Series" cover..!

This "New product" ad is out of a Street Chopper from '79...

The larger page is out of a S.I.E. catalog from '78, and they are talking about MPD ...

I guess it's MPD and also distributed by Concord...
My buddy Jac has a brand new one, same as yours, hanging on his wall for ages now..I think he never used it...(pictures later this week)
YOU MY FRIEND, ARE THE MAN!

If I ever make it to Belgium, I owe you a beer!

Interesting... mine is chrome and flaking badly. Wonder if the owner had it chromed. Looks like it was offered in raw and polished.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
MPD is right! MPD stood for Magnuson Products Development - Jerry Maagnuson, of Magnacycle note.

I don't know why I didn't remember. Along with the Magnacycle, and those finned primary covers, MPD also made intake manifold/carb setups to run a single or dual Weber DCOE's for Honda 750 4's, and manifold/carb kits for Harley BT's and Sportys.

Pat Leahy, who owns High Gear Machine in Long Beach to this day, did a lot of carving on the original molds for all those primary covers, and along with Dean Moon, did a lot of R&D work to get the Weber DCOE's venturi size and circuits to work with motorcycle engines.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RippoDippo said:
$84.95 for the 74" Imperial! :mad:

Are you gonna replate and run it? Nice Piece!
Plan is to strip whats left of the chrome and then polish it. I've got a real good polisher local to me who should be able to make it look great w/o losing any detail.

In a few months I'm going to hunt for a kick only Ironhead motor to put it on. It will end up in my next build.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Irish Rich said:
MPD is right! MPD stood for Magnuson Products Development - Jerry Maagnuson, of Magnacycle note.

I don't know why I didn't remember. Along with the Magnacycle, and those finned primary covers, MPD also made intake manifold/carb setups to run a single or dual Weber DCOE's for Honda 750 4's, and manifold/carb kits for Harley BT's and Sportys.

Pat Leahy, who owns High Gear Machine in Long Beach to this day, did a lot of carving on the original molds for all those primary covers, and along with Dean Moon, did a lot of R&D work to get the Weber DCOE's venturi size and circuits to work with motorcycle engines.
Taking notes. ;) You're lucky you only have to deal with me every few days or so on the internet. If I lived in Denver, I may have to pick your brain every day. :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
Irish Rich said:

Holy crap, Rich...
*THAT'S* fuckin' timing...

I was *just* in Lojack's garage today, looking at the
Sportster project for his wife, when I noticed the DCOE40 on that.
Holding it on was a Magnuson manifold, and I commented that it's the
same brand as the one I ran on Val when I was running the DCOE45 on her.

I told him that I wouldn't get rid of mine, even though I've a few of the early
Rivera copies of it because it was a little snippet from that era that I liked to save.

Didn't know about "... the *rest* of the story...", though.
Thanks for that bit of info.

Best,

Weyland

1 - 13 of 13 Posts