Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stood the 1988 sportster up for three weeks and it has developed 2 major problems. Number 1 is that when I try to start it, it sounds like a bag of spanners with the starter motor spinning, but nothing happens. The engine doesn't turn over at all.

Number two is that when I took the spark plugs out to see if they're sparking, they continuously spark as soon as the key is turned, without even the starter button being pressed. Everything was working fine before I stood it up.

Any ideas ?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Ran across this a few weeks back. Food for thought. I don't know much about electric starter as I've only had one motorcycle with an electric starter and I dare not speak of the brand of said bike.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Number two is that when I took the spark plugs out to see if they're sparking, they continuously spark as soon as the key is turned, without even the starter button being pressed. Everything was working fine before I stood it up.

Any ideas ?
do you have it hooked up to a charger? if so, that will cause some of the elec ignitions to spark constantly.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Not sure about the spark. No way to know, without more info. The starter sounds like a bad bendix gear. Pretty easy fix.

·
Registered
32 Posts
In my experience the continuos spark was from a faulty electronic ignition module. Not sure what type of ignition the sporty has. Check ALL the wires involved with your ignition and starter. Best of luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.