Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a guy who wants my boat and he has a 72 BMW R65/5? that he wants to trade maybe some dough too. I dont know crap about beemers. Any info you guys could give would be great. I have not seen the bike yet. I would like to hear your ideas, see pics and get info from owners, guys who have worked on these bikes etc, so let me have it. Thanks ya Jerks:D

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Gas House Gorilla said:
I got a guy who wants my boat and he has a 72 BMW R65/5? that he wants to trade maybe some dough too. I dont know crap about beemers. Any info you guys could give would be great. I have not seen the bike yet. I would like to hear your ideas, see pics and get info from owners, guys who have worked on these bikes etc, so let me have it. Thanks ya Jerks:D
Double check the year and/or model. The /5 series stopped in '73 (or so) and the R65 didn't come out until 1980 (or so). I think the /5 bikes are cool as shit. They have drum brakes and I'm fairly sure the top ends are interchangeable (R50 can get 750 top end). Since BMWs run forever, watch out for clapped out bikes with a trillion miles that are in need of a lot of work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a /5 for a few years and have worked on a ton of boxers (horizontally opossed twins). They're great bikes and make a real sweet cafe bike. I especially like the looks of the toaster tank models. They don't command big prices yet but with the way things are going they'll start to go up in price in no time. The engines are pretty bullet proof, valve adjustments are a breeze with the cylinders hanging out there.

The shaft drive on the older models tends to jack a little under heavy throttle, but if you're smooth with it you never even notice....

·
Registered
897 Posts
More than likely its a 72 R60/5.Should have a toaster tank(chrome panels on sides of tank that resemble an old toaster).The 60 is a 600cc bike.Should have an optional electric start.I have a 72 R75/5 and it is a motorcycle that I'm proud to own.Nice bike to have in the stable.

·
Registered
361 Posts
They are really holding their value right now. I rebuilt mine last winter and they are very easy to work on. I've put on about 5,000 miles on mine just farting around on weekends. They are really good bikes.
Gregg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.