Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im kyle. Im 16 and live in california. Im working on a 68 triumph bonneville. I just needed another place to act like i know something and make a fool out of myself with ridiculous qeustions that have common sense answers. That being said, what can a guy do to put a Harley narrow glide on a stock triumph neck? It may be blasphemous to say; but is there a kit somewhere out there? ANY help greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Kyle said:
Im kyle. Im 16 and live in california. Im working on a 68 triumph bonneville. I just needed another place to act like i know something and make a fool out of myself with ridiculous qeustions that have common sense answers. That being said, what can a guy do to put a Harley narrow glide on a stock triumph neck? It may be blasphemous to say; but is there a kit somewhere out there? ANY help greatly appreciated.
I forget which one but either the sporster stem or the big twin stem is straight( doesn't taper) this will fit right into you bonnies neck, along with a set of tapered roller bearings. If you get a front end with the wrong stem you can press it out and put in the straight one.

·
Registered
630 Posts
stock (late model) HD neck bearings are 1.970 outer diameter and are for a 1" stem

triumph neck is 2.094 inner diameter at the bearings

make 2 little bearing cup adapters and voila, the HD front end goes on

ask ****** here, I just did a set for him

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GumbyChuck said:
stock (late model) HD neck bearings are 1.970 outer diameter and are for a 1" stem

triumph neck is 2.094 inner diameter at the bearings

make 2 little bearing cup adapters and voila, the HD front end goes on

ask ****** here, I just did a set for him
What do you mean by adapters? just a shim or something to hold the harley bearing cup in there or does this have to be a special deal? I dont have any other pics either, thanks for the help and the compliment!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Kyle said:
What do you mean by adapters? just a shim or something to hold the harley bearing cup in there or does this have to be a special deal?
here's a pic of another set I just did
not a shim
harley cup presses into these steel rings
whole thing then presses into the triumph neck
get it now?
if you've got a lathe it's easy
if you don't, well, make friends with someone that does!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Kyle, that bike rules man! You're 16??!!!! Good for you bro'!! You have to ride that shit to school when it's done so every chick in the building will know who the man is! ;) Welcome to the board!

The adaptation is pretty easy. All you need are the outer race rings that Gumby Chuck posted and the matching roller, tapered Timken bearings. If you don't have a lathe or have access to one and none of your buds have one someone here might be cool enough make you some or there is a guy ripping people off on Egay that sells an adapter set. OR... do you have a rad shop teacher that can turn some for you on your school lathe or let you do it on the school lathe??

By the way... any more pics of the scoot?? Lookin' good man!!

Scooter
Kyle said:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey gumbychuck, wanna be friends? I dont even know anybody else with a motorcycle, let alone a lathe. The front end thats on there is the one im trying to make fit, that pic is just a rough mock up. I dont have any others on my computer, and i lack a digital camera.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Kyle said:
Hey gumbychuck, wanna be friends? I dont even know anybody else with a motorcycle, let alone a lathe. The front end thats on there is the one im trying to make fit, that pic is just a rough mock up. I dont have any others on my computer, and i lack a digital camera.
c'mon, I'm trying to develop a reputation as the cranky guy...guess it ain't working

measure the stem on that front end (diameter - should be 1")

and send me your address

1 - 16 of 16 Posts