Jockey Journal Forum banner
141 - 160 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
It has been a busy week! Got a ton done over the weekend. Not a lot of new bike pictures but the motor is now complete. the top end has been bolted together for awhile for mock up purposes with my favorite pair of socks living in the cylinders protecting the piston less rods. This weekend the top end was completed and is aside from wiring and plumbing is ready to be fired! Also decided on the bars I am going to run, No pics mounted because I don't have risers yet but they will be something short. A bit different than planned but after trying several different styles and mocking ideas up using garden hose decided simple traditional bars looked best. Thanks to Scott at Cochise County choppers for giving me my throttle assembly and also letting me bring the bike to his shop So he could look over my shoulder while completing the motor! Nice know I did it myself on my first complete rebuild but still have the piece of mind it is done right!!!
Also I have been wanting some parts that aren't cost affective to machine so I spent part of last week making some new tools, everything but the 2 crucibles are home built. I am just waiting on refractory cement to cure and should be casting some parts by the end of the week.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 · (Edited)
Started playing around with ideas for risers today. There are not a lot of options for short and slim so I decided to make some. 20 minutes on the wood lathe and I think I am happy, just need to drill all the holes to be sure there is enough meat left for the design to work. they will slim down a bit when the hole for the bars is drilled but this gives an idea of what they will look like. if they look too wide after drilling I may flatten the sides a bit.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 · (Edited)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
I cast the risers today. Going to have to re-pour then because I knocked the mold and ended up with some loose sand leaving a couple bad pits. Drilled one out anyway to be sure I had room to drill for the 1/4" allen screws that hold the top on.
Looks like it will work.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Got them mocked up on the bike and I like them but not sure about on this bike, they don't really flow with everything else. Have another design I am going to try I think will work better.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Haven't been making much progress on the bike the last few weeks been messing around making parts. There is one in this picture that is very wrong lets see who can pick it out.

·
Registered
790 Posts
far left??

great stuff

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Thanks for the positive feedback guys... Knuckelworks far left is obviosly stock and doesn't fit, I was looking for bottom look at the arrows that are supposed to indicate flow direction.

I haven't done a lot on the bike over the last several months that is noticeable. Decided to go back to school in February and that has slowed progress to watching rust grow on the pipes tank and fender for the most part.
I did get the bars mounted finally and am not sure I like them as much as I thought I would! Headlight is just set in place at this point and I am thinking it should move up a bit when mounted so look past that. Something just doesn't look right in the bars. Not sure if it is in my head or because I pictured them lower or bad proportioning. I am building this for myself and the pullback and height is perfect. They could go up up to 3" but no lower I already have a bike I lean over and want this to be comfortable!

These have been growing on me as I look at it, I have a few ideas if I decide not to use them but feedback is welcome. Kind if hitting a brick wall here... not so much looking for ideas but more does this work? I have been staring at it too long at this point! I know exactly what I would do if looks were the only concern but this is going to be my rider and comfortable position is important!

Probably way over thinking things, here are a few pics.

·
Registered
357 Posts
just some feedback, 1st off the FMW springer is killer, Its hard to tell from angle of picture from side with bike on lift, but when you look at lines of bike with drop in frame and seat height and the fact that you have to use risers on the springer for bars, the height of the bars seem a bit high when looking at lines of bike from side. I think this maybe what doesnt look right, but as you said riding position is your main concern and it fits you well. There are so many other great little details already on this build I wouldnt worry about it , bike looks great and its not even done, once you get some paint on there you will not even think twice about it.

great build man

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
just some feedback, 1st off the FMW springer is killer, Its hard to tell from angle of picture from side with bike on lift, but when you look at lines of bike with drop in frame and seat height and the fact that you have to use risers on the springer for bars, the height of the bars seem a bit high when looking at lines of bike from side. I think this maybe what doesnt look right, but as you said riding position is your main concern and it fits you well. There are so many other great little details already on this build I wouldnt worry about it , bike looks great and its not even done, once you get some paint on there you will not even think twice about it.

great build man
I kind of agree but you pointed out what was bothering me so I am not going to settle I think a custom set of bars are in order. I am thinking do away with the risers go up and forward then drop back down to a similar position as they are now. Not sure without mokcking it up but it looks good in my head! I have put this on hold for awhile.... though I would be fiished with school in a few months but was amazed at how much I thought I knew and didn't!!! Starting work next week and moving forward with the project. Still waiting on my test pannel from Casey though so if anyone has the ability to light a fire under his ass please do!

Happy new year!!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
Just read back through this and realized I was going for a 60's-70's thing according to my early posts. I guess it grew! Not sure where the change occurred but would still like to do a period correct bike but this is not the one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for this thread Chris, I recently picked up a pile of parts that was once a 54 T110 so I Loved going threw you build picks. Is that a Barons speed shop rear fender?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
...very fine details on this build; you have great skills and a sense for the design you want.
Very interesting that furnace and the pieces you obtained.

-After you had put the engine on the frame did you noticed a change in the stance?

--in my opinion, a Triumph with both pipes in the right side leave the left side too steryle, to "poor" in comparison
because the right side is "the front" of the engine and the nicest so is like enhancing too much that side.

thanks

141 - 160 of 164 Posts