Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my project as it sits right now. The motor has been completley torn down and is getting new pistons rings and pins,new cams and a complete top end rebuild. It is currently with Wes at Four Aces recieving machine work, new bearings and bushings as wall as a magneto rebuild. The primary has been cut for a newby belt drive but a little more attention will be needed once everything is in place to get everything to fit. This bike started as a box of parts last summer and is moving along verry well.
Looking forward to getting my parts back so I can assemble the motor! Thank you to everyone who has answered my questions and helped out on this project!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Did you chrome the cases? Don't see that too often. I'm not gonna lie, it looks pretty familiar. Between the pre unit drive train, the Cole Foster tank, the scalloped headlight, the whitewall rubber, the DNA springer, etc, it looks like you're definitely going for the Low Tide Larry look.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you chrome the cases? Don't see that too often. I'm not gonna lie, it looks pretty familiar. Between the pre unit drive train, the Cole Foster tank, the scalloped headlight, the whitewall rubber, the DNA springer, etc, it looks like you're definitely going for the Low Tide Larry look.
No not chrome, polished! I love Dan's bikes and he has definitley had a influence but there are some major diferences that will show up a bit later on. I am aiming for more of a 50's 60's show bike look with some modern parts added in, definitley not a period piece.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
That is the purdiest triumph case Ive ever seen. Glad its polished & not chrome. I just had a set of preunti cases that had been chromed a while back & were peeling.

Youre bike will be neat. If youre going for 50's 60's show bike kinda vibe, reconsider the tank maybe? Or at least weld in a regular bung & gas cap in center?

Just my thoughts. Keep the pics coming as you go. thisll be a great bike.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If youre going for 50's 60's show bike kinda vibe, reconsider the tank maybe? Or at least weld in a regular bung & gas cap in center?

Just my thoughts. Keep the pics coming as you go. thisll be a great bike.
Thanks, can't change the tank...love the cole foster! I agree a different tank would fit the 50's 60's idea a bit better, I did play around with some mockups with a bung and cap but I didn't think it worked with the lines. Like I said it will not be a period correct bike just aiming for the feel. I think it will come out in some of the smaller details as well as the paint.

I will keep the pictures up, might be a bit slow though, I travel 3 1/2 weeks out of the month for work.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice. I was sitting at Wes' when you dropped off those crazy polished cases.
Ha! I thought you looked familiar, have a white builtwell seat and neck bearings from your shop as well as other parts that slip my mind. You will probably be the last shop I order from as well when it comes time for the cloth wiring.
Thanks for the how too's and the video you and wes put out!! I am a lot more hands on on this project thanks to the video and advice from other members on here and am having a lot more fun with this build than my last!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I am sure that there are many more bike threads that will start with the same look. Dan builds some nice bikes and I am sure he inspired a lot of people judging by the comments left by many on his build thread.

He should get paid some residuals from DNA and Cole Foster from all the business they will get from Low Tide Larry.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Looks like your project is coming right along. The stance looks great. Just for the record, I am very flattered you have taken your your project this direction. Fact is, immitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and I'll be the first to admit to "immitating" some aspects of other builders that I look up to. There really is nothing new under the sun when it comes to bikes, the best ones I have seen are artfull combinations of well thought out or visually appealing ideas. The ones that are "new" often end up looking like that RK chain bike (or an OCC theme bike). Keep up the good work!
Cheers, Dan.

·
Registered
500 Posts
There really is nothing new under the sun when it comes to bikes,

Well said. Melloncamp once said of music, show me a man who has written an original song and I will punch him in the face.
There are only so many notes and in the case of motorcycles "styles" to be done. Keep it simple and purposeful and it will look good.
And whtwtr, it does, keep it coming.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks for the positive feedback!
Some input would be appreciated. I am setting up my exhaust and am debating weather to run it right or left. I am going to do a high low with a upsweep that follows the rear of the frame, rippled pipe into cocktail shakers. My concerns are running primary side might look to cluttered with the open primary and belt drive and running timing side if I don't get the high pipe tucked in nice and tight it may interfere with the kickstart. I am leaning strongly torward timing side tucked as tight as I can. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a DNA springer on this bike now, paid $320 for it. I am sure I could get my money back if I sold it, it has only been used for mock up.
My plans are to paint the rear legs and chrome the front and leave rockers and springs chrome. I am thinking I can sell the DNA for close to what I paid and buy a better springer already chromed, blast the rear legs for paint and leave the front chrome. The money saved in chrome should cover at least half the difference in a better quality springer. Is this a reasonable idea? Can I get a good looking well made springer in the $800-1100 dollar range?

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a DNA springer on this bike now, paid $320 for it. I am sure I could get my money back if I sold it, it has only been used for mock up.
My plans are to paint the rear legs and chrome the front and leave rockers and springs chrome. I am thinking I can sell the DNA for close to what I paid and buy a better springer already chromed, blast the rear legs for paint and leave the front chrome. The money saved in chrome should cover at least half the difference in a better quality springer. Is this a reasonable idea? Can I get a good looking well made springer in the $800-1100 dollar range?

Thanks, Chris
Let me know about the springer. pm. me i've been lookin for a dna springer all black.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
twhitty, I will P.M. you if I get a new front end. I have found a few stock 45's in my price range but everything needs to be shortened and that is out of my ability! The one I really want is about 2 grand and after the belt drive I dont see that happening soon!!
I have been working 70-80hrs a week since the third of the year and have only been home 6 days. Just found out I fly home tomorrow and am off through the week plus talked with Wess an my machine work is done and the parts are being shipped tomorrow and should be here by the end of the week. I will be like a kid waiting for Santa! Hopefully they arrive in time for me to put the motor together and post some more pics!

Take care everyone, Chris

1 - 20 of 164 Posts