Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saw the post below and thought I'd pop this pic in for general interests sake.

My Grandfather bought and raced his 1948 Matchless back in the late 40's/early 50's here in Australia. He told me he saw it a car show and bought it on the spot. The first thing he did when he got it home was strip the paint on the fork legs and spend 2 days polishing them by hand to make it stand out. He was President of the Mt Gambier (a medium size rural town in Sth Australia) Motorcycle Racing Club for a few years.

He sold the bike in the early 60's then tracked it down when he retired. It was laying in a pile with the AJS in the pic behind a farm shed after having been used by shearers as a farm bike for over 20 years. Both bikes were in really bad condition and the farmer couldn't remember when they were both used last. When the farmer found out my Grandfather was the original owner, he gave both bikes to us. The AJS was originally going to be used for spares but when the Matchless was restored I claimed it and restored it as well.

We trailered both bikes home, drained the oil, fuel and years of water and crap from the Matchless. We put in a new plug and fluids and she started 3 kick!!

My Grandfather passed away a few years ago and this pic was taken on the only day we got to ride both bikes together. I've still got both bikes and I can't wait to see me 3yr old come for a ride with me on them when he's old enough.

I've got a couple of pics of him actually racing the bike that I'm trying to get my hands on. No helmet just heaps of Bryll Cream and a shirt and tie! Not to mention the club flag taped to the handlebars. Must've been cool riding back then!

Scotty

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
That story kicks ass. I scored a G12CS about six months ago and it is my current project. I have never owned a British bike so the learning curve is steep. There is an OLD dude that has a shop near-by that raced Matchies back in the day. The bike is at his place and I hope he gets to my motor before....well, I hope he gets to my motor. I have scored some sweet parts and am going Cafe. I think I have at least two days into polishing my new front end for it.

Here is a link to my intro with pics of the Matchless. Rough, I know:

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5655

And here is the front end pics:

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5682

The front end part of your story sparked my to respond to your post. Again, cool story and great looking bikes.
Jakemon

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jakemon said:
That story kicks ass. I scored a G12CS about six months ago and it is my current project. I have never owned a British bike so the learning curve is steep. There is an OLD dude that has a shop near-by that raced Matchies back in the day. The bike is at his place and I hope he gets to my motor before....well, I hope he gets to my motor. I have scored some sweet parts and am going Cafe. I think I have at least two days into polishing my new front end for it.

Here is a link to my intro with pics of the Matchless. Rough, I know:

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5655

And here is the front end pics:

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5682

The front end part of your story sparked my to respond to your post. Again, cool story and great looking bikes.
Jakemon
British bikes are great to restore. Riding them them is a different matter. I still have trouble with the left hand clutch/ right foot shifter thing. Perhaps it's because I need to use both hemispheres of my brain to change gear instead of just 1. I also remember the first time I took my grandfathers bike for a ride. All went well until I got home then I couldn't work out how to turn the thing off! He was pissing himself laughing when he lent over and pulled the compression release.

Good luck with the rebuild. There's an AJS/Matchless forum which has heaps of info should you need something.

Scotty

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have a 53 Model 20 that I'm working on getting back on the road. Interesting bikes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts