Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
TI_Tuesday
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Circa 1977.

Back when kids rode bikes, beat each other up, and collected coke bottles for 5 cents. Picture is worth a thousand words but I added a few more. That bike kicked butt and I remember the day my dad gave it to me. Some guy made the forks out of old cast pipes.

I've got some old BSA and flat track pics I'll post tomorrow.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Ed said:
Circa 1977.

Thats classic man, we chopped them by taking conduit pounding it flat to fit over the forks and pounding them on. You would flatten and drill the other end for the tire. If you were lucky you could steal a 16" front tire off your little sisters bike to go with your 20" rear slick. We chopped a few so long you could not ride them. The tall sissy bar was all part of the package.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Those damn Toughskins had a HUGE patch in the knee that was so stiff you couldn't rip a hole in those things with a chainsaw!

And you know you wore those fuckers until you ankles showed!

·
TI_Tuesday
748 Posts
hell yeah!! toughskins were like steel belted. couldn't get rid of those fuckers.

nice helmet hair there ed.

·
Registered
617 Posts
greggski said:
I think they are called Carharts nowdays, at least they seem to make they from the same material.:D
I used to have Toughskins of everycolor under the sun.

We used to take two sets of curved forks, cut tops of one set and jam it hard on to the ends of the uncut set. You'd get really long curved forks that were impossible to steer but looked cool as hell.

mitch

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
That photo, haircut, and all the talk about Toughskins is making me pretty damn old. I wore Toughskins, as did all the kids in the neighborhood. I had a "chopper" bike with long, electrical conduit forks. I just remember how difficult it was to ride at slow speeds. Thank God there's no photographic evidence.

I'm in my mid-thirties. I assume everyone in this post is about the same age, or were Toughskins en vogue through the 1990s. They were from Sears, right? I think racing leathers should be made out of that material instead of leather. Brighter colors and more durable. You might get roadrash on your ankles, though.

·
TI_Tuesday
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sporticus said:
That photo, haircut, and all the talk about Toughskins is making me pretty damn old. I wore Toughskins, as did all the kids in the neighborhood. I had a "chopper" bike with long, electrical conduit forks. I just remember how difficult it was to ride at slow speeds. Thank God there's no photographic evidence.

I'm in my mid-thirties. I assume everyone in this post is about the same age, or were Toughskins en vogue through the 1990s. They were from Sears, right? I think racing leathers should be made out of that material instead of leather. Brighter colors and more durable. You might get roadrash on your ankles, though.
Glory days! I feel a Big Wheel photo contest in the near future!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had some sweet ass green toughskins... my mom put iron on patches on the inside and outside of the knees.

freaking pants were bulletproof.

I also had a hand me down stingray from my uncle.. bannana seat and sissy bar so freaking high i could barely reach the top.

them were the days.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You guys are killin' me.

Had em in brown, green, even maroon. Here's a shot in my blue "skins", in the back of my moms boyfriends Elky, with the Honda I rode before I could reach the pegs or shift lever.
I couldn't stop riding until I ate shit, but her boyfriend, Ron, figured it was cool since I could never get out of first gear.

That guy kicked ass

Attachments

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
That picture just made me smile :)

oranje said:
You guys are killin' me.

Had em in brown, green, even maroon. Here's a shot in my blue "skins", in the back of my moms boyfriends Elky, with the Honda I rode before I could reach the pegs or shift lever.
I couldn't stop riding until I ate shit, but her boyfriend, Ron, figured it was cool since I could never get out of first gear.

That guy kicked ass

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Fuck them toughskins....My mother came home with a pair of these probably in about 1971 and said look at these new style jeans.I tried them on and deceided right then and there I wasnt wearin these ever.So I proceeded to tell her this right before getting ready to go to a skating party.That I would in fact not be wearin these pants ever.Well at that age mom can still pretty much tell ya whats gonna happen and what aint.She stated to me that I would either wear those pants or that I would sit in my room in my underware till I did and to not even think about going to that skating party or anything else for that matter.

Well at the end of the next day I still was sittin in my room in my underware and not wear'in those Fuckin toughskins....So finally my dad comes in and says son ya need to at least wear'em once and god forbid if they were to get ripped or somethin your mom may think they are no good and not buy anymore of them.Well on they went and off I go to destroy them.Shit they should have skinned WWII airplanes out of that materail we would have never lost a plane.So with the help of a knife and a damn sharp one I came home with them ripped and never had another pair of those again.So the moto goes like this moms think they know best but dad always has a plan......

Missed a damn cool skatin party just because sears.:D and my mom is probably still paying on those Fuckin toughskins cause she bought them on her Sears charge card and at their interest rate they should be paid for bout the time I retire........

Hope ya enjoyed the little rant and hijack but this has been built up inside for 30 years.Ya dont even want to get me started on the story about not eatin Mac and Cheese which I will still not eat to this day.BAHAHAHA

By the way great photos A++++++
Shoe

Imagine wearin the corudroy if you wear runnin and fell down and slid you would probably get 3rd degree burns from the heat build up.....HAHAHAHHA

·
TI_Tuesday
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great story. I never got invited to a skating party but if I did, I'd have to roll with the toughskins.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts