Jockey Journal Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have seen another bike quite like it. I was told it was in Iron Horse many years ago. The last time I saw it was at the Wauseon, Ohio AMCA meet maybe 6-8 years ago. Owner was named Kim Stager who was a very good machinist. As I recall, it had an Indian Frame (at least I think it was an Indian as it had the plunger shocks/springs a the rear axle), VW motor into a BMW transmission, even had the VW emblems on the tank. It ran quite well though it was smoking slightly. I do not recall where Kim was from but the last time I saw him he had moved to upstate SC, that was when he was at the house for a club meeting about three years ago maybe.
Kim used to set up at Wauseon selling, among other things, valve covers for Big Twin Flatheads, nicely machined.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Thanks for the post. I was in Nashville all week looking for things to do.

Went there today. Was cool to see the stuff. Was upset that things where marked up 4-6for times what they paid on the show.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Fantastic pictures! Really nice to see that kinda stuff! There is a price for everything, if you found their actual email and had the cash that bike would be yours. Sadly I have neither LOL

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sorry about that. I was attempting to organize my photos and didn't realize it would delete my links.

Check page one, the photos are back.

Cory
Thanks buddy. Great pics. Interesting bike for sure. Has a look all of its own. I know its a von dutch and all, but geez that thing is so ugly its great!

·
Registered
660 Posts
that's a real awesome one ...

unfortunately they used one of the ultra-rare HD XA-frames although the URAL / DNEPR / CHANG boxer-rides have been produced in the thousands

anyway awesome rig

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
unfortunately they used one of the ultra-rare HD XA-frames.....
Well, you have to remember that Dutch built this bike 45 years ago. It was a war surplus frame. You also have to take into consideration, that not only did Harley-Davidson (the XA) and Indian (the 841) each make 1000-odd shaft drive bikes in '42 and '43 respectively, they were both obligated under their military contracts to produce at least 6 spare parts of all the parts that went into each prototype bike they built. So, figure that means at least 7,000 XA and 7,000 841 frames and related spares were actually made. When you look at like that, not so rare a frame, especially in SoCal where a lot of the goverment surplus auction depots were located.

After WW II, the surplus yards were full of spares of everything that the war effort manufactured, from cases of foot powder to Cadillac tank engines, to plexiglass airplane canopys. The Goverment auctioned off literally tons of parts and supplies. You could still get genuine WW II and Korean War clothes and equipment in surplus stores way into the late '60's-early '70's.

Sammy Pierce had literally stacks of Indian 741 and 841 war surplus motorcycles and parts that he got the jump on because of his contacts and he had a H-D counterparts that did the same. Sammy Pierce was going to base his v twin American Rocket bikes on the piles of 841 shaft drive frames and related drive components he had.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.