Jockey Journal Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I got an Email from Mike Wolf of the Pickers back on 10/17 last year, telling me he owned the XAVW, and wanted to know the history and background details on it.

I told him in a return Email that I had too much info and background to write it all in an Email for him, and I gave him my number to call me. He never called me, never contacted me after that. Weird.

That's too bad, because I had info direct from Ed Roth, Randy Smith, Pat Leahy, and Hessian Little Joe on the history of the XAVW. I even knew who had it up until a few years ago. I asked Mike Wolf if he had bought it from that person who I knew owned it, but, like I said, he never contacted me again.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
i read somewhere that VON DUTCH built a bike outta an evinrude outboard engine! anybody gotta link to that pic?
i dont believe ANYTHING i see on tv anymore! its gotten so that the producers/production ass. have ruined everything with this need to "create" drama!
its sad that the only person on tv i`ll believe is the weatherman.....................
You have a bit of the story.....
According to what Randy Smith told me, Ed Roth swapped Von Dutch two antique outboard motors for the XAVW. When Roth got the XAVW from Dutch, the bike was totally disassembled, because Dutch got pissed that his horse wouldn't ride around in the sidecar that Dutch built out of the horse's watertroth for the XAVW, so Dutch got mad, and took the XAVW completely apart, and stacked it in a corner of his shop up in Calabasas.

Roth never put it back together, and traded it to Randy Smith for 15 sets of Randy's finned aluminum Pan covers. The sidehack Dutch made for the XAVW eventually wound up on his silver BMW, that Dutch rode most of the time to chase parts.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Trans adapter ,,looks like same set up as BMW
It is a BMW transmission. Some say Von Dutch did the adapter ring to mate it to the VW engine, but in an old Modern Cycle article on the XAVW, written by Dutch himself, he says that he designed the adapter ring, but someone else machined it for him, because he didn't have the machinery capable of making the actual adapter plate. My guess it was probably Boyd Defrance that machined the adapter ring, as that was one of Defrance Sr.'s specialties.

See this is the beauty in this bike - Dutch made this bike out of a 36 HP VW engine, a '42 XA shaft drive frame and rear wheel drive hub, a Moto Guzzi front end, Triumph rear fender and mufflers, a Honda 450 gas tank.....and the whole thing is pieced together from cast-off and war surplus parts that Dutch blended together to create a custom bike that is so stock looking, a person not in the know would think that it was a production motorcycle.

On building the XAVW, Dutch said: " I felt that the machine from all outward appearances, appear to be conventional, for I do not require the attention of juveniles, and quiet since I don't need the expensive attention of policemen".

Von Dutch was supposed to build another XA frame-based bike for Keenan Wynn, with a Porsche Spider engine, but it never got past the planning stage.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
unfortunately they used one of the ultra-rare HD XA-frames.....
Well, you have to remember that Dutch built this bike 45 years ago. It was a war surplus frame. You also have to take into consideration, that not only did Harley-Davidson (the XA) and Indian (the 841) each make 1000-odd shaft drive bikes in '42 and '43 respectively, they were both obligated under their military contracts to produce at least 6 spare parts of all the parts that went into each prototype bike they built. So, figure that means at least 7,000 XA and 7,000 841 frames and related spares were actually made. When you look at like that, not so rare a frame, especially in SoCal where a lot of the goverment surplus auction depots were located.

After WW II, the surplus yards were full of spares of everything that the war effort manufactured, from cases of foot powder to Cadillac tank engines, to plexiglass airplane canopys. The Goverment auctioned off literally tons of parts and supplies. You could still get genuine WW II and Korean War clothes and equipment in surplus stores way into the late '60's-early '70's.

Sammy Pierce had literally stacks of Indian 741 and 841 war surplus motorcycles and parts that he got the jump on because of his contacts and he had a H-D counterparts that did the same. Sammy Pierce was going to base his v twin American Rocket bikes on the piles of 841 shaft drive frames and related drive components he had.

1 - 6 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.