Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 1/2 - 3/4 opening i'm getting inkling of pinking, especially getting on it up hills, a more gentle roll on and the motor shows no signs of pinking.

Plugs nice colour, Boyer fitted and was set to standard 38 BTDC, motor pulls like a train. I've retarded the ignition a deg ' or so and mebe slight improvement noted.

Question is to those in the know;

keep retarding ign' until prob' gone a long as power does not suffer?.
lift the needle a notch and set the ign' back to standard?.
Use a fuel additive?.
all of the above, tweaking is part of the fun?
Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
You need to strobe it. Do it at around 3,500 RPM at full advance. 38* is just the rough starting point to get it started to strobe it.

TD

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
When a Boyer gets low voltage it goes into full advance. It's possible at a lower RPM with the lights on you could have a low voltage supply issue.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the response, but:

new batt' fitted, and left on optimizer.

strobed at 38 deg BTDC.

the bike was re imported and has not had strip down , at least by me, when I pickeit up from po it would not pull over 65ish mph, messed about with jetting and got it this far.

at the mo' I'm as happy as a pig in sh*t with it, apart from this lightpinking , which i can 'ride around' but i don't really want to risk toasting the valves or pistons.

From comments I'm thinking is our pump fuel iffy? ( deffo' ), the other thing is could it have hotter / diffrent cams fitted? I guess I should fit a degree wheel and do some proper measuring to see what;s what.

Thanks for the input, sometimes it's whats needed to break out of fixed line of thinking / problem solving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts