Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can amal mk2's be replaced size for size with the mk1 concentrics ? Are they a better carb or worse then the mk1 on a triumph twin ? , i know they wear less and appear to be cheaper then the mk1's, just wonder if they are worth considering.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Amal MK2's are like the Mikuni VM's, and are more tuneable than the MK1.
But the concentrics do work pretty well.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem i have with the mk1 concentric is they are still made of rubbish metal and wear very quickly , and i want to rubber mount the carbs which is how the mk2's mount as far as i know.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I've had bikes with 40 year old concentric carbs that run just fine.
how many years is "quickly" ?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had bikes with 40 year old concentric carbs that run just fine.
how many years is "quickly" ?
They were designed, priced and made to last to the end of the warranty of the bike which in the 60's was six months, they are made of mazak which is a zinc based pot metal which is unbelieveable soft, the mk2's are made of aluminium.
I just wondered if they are a better carb overall then the original concentric.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've seen MKII's with flogged out slides too, I don't think the issue was Zinc or pot metal V's Aluminium, making the slide out of the same material as the body was where the wear came from, hence guys making brass/chrome slides

I've had good luck with both types, MKII's are cleaner (no tickler) and have a better choke setup, but they are big and don't look as cool

Just my opinion

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen MKII's with flogged out slides too, I don't think the issue was Zinc or pot metal V's Aluminium, making the slide out of the same material as the body was where the wear came from, hence guys making brass/chrome slides

I've had good luck with both types, MKII's are cleaner (no tickler) and have a better choke setup, but they are big and don't look as cool

Just my opinion
I need 34mm carbs and the mk1's stop at 32mm , the options are jap carbs or the later brit ones , being a brit bike i would like to keep it all british.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I need 34mm carbs and the mk1's stop at 32mm , the options are jap carbs or the later brit ones , being a brit bike i would like to keep it all british.
Sounds good, It would be cool to keep it all Brit. Smooth bores start at 34mm might be worth the extra cash ?.

What about Bings ? not Brit I know, but there is a link and history between Bing and Triumph, might be worth investigating before you decide.

Cheers

Drew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts