Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a new carb today...it has an air slide...the old one didn't...should i tear it out and block the hole..hmmm what to do????

·
Registered
897 Posts
If it was me,I'd keep it.That's a nice thing to have on a cold morning.I use mine to richen up the mixture a little while going down the big road.Pretty cool to be able to dial in a carb while moving.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Frosty could you elaborate on what is needed ...is it cable run??my chop has never had one b4...i usually cut things off, not add them...is it a choke of sorts??airsupply adjustment ???

·
Registered
944 Posts
Originally there was a small handlebar lever with a cable to control the little block(s).
Seemed a little backward, as full choke meant the cable was slack.

Some engines react differently to this form of choke, my Triumph never seemed to notice them (except in really cold weather) but I noticed it made a lot of difference with Nortons.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi,Englishman got it right.Cable opperated choke device.On my 69 TR6R single carb model it helps out.Good luck.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
bct said:
Frosty could you elaborate on what is needed ...is it cable run??my chop has never had one b4...i usually cut things off, not add them...is it a choke of sorts??airsupply adjustment ???
the choke slide within the main slide is really not needed .. and in this case it IS best, and safest, to simplify ..

namely because the whole time you're at operating temperature, the choke cable is under full spring tension .. and eventually when that cable breaks, it will very likely be the ball end at the choke slide that gets sucked itno the engine .. (and with a Bonneville all the risk & extra bits is x2 ..)

without it, you will just have a slightly longer pre-ride warm-up .. maybe with one hand on the throttle and the other hitting the tickler a few extra times .. not a big deal ..

also be sure to close the hole in the top .. if it had a threaded adjuster you can find a whitworth screw to match, or if not threaded just epoxy it shut ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Dragon,Good point.Although I've never had it happen to me I see that as being possible.Guess that's another reason to buy good cables.Thanks for bringing that to the boards attention.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts