Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My left hand 930 carb has been leaking around the tickler-steady rapid leak. The tickler spring seems OK. It only leaks when I open the gas tank valves. There is no leak even when you can see gas in the line and the tank valve closed. It seems that the float bowl must be over filling. I rebuilt the carbs using the info provided by John Plewsy (Lunmad) in his U-Tube videos. I did not replace the folats themselves but they appear to be set correctly. The bike is a 1965 Triumph Bonnie. :confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Sounds like your needles aren't seating properly. Anyhow, make sure your tickler plungers are fully retracting the carb body. Look for proper float height, make sure the float bowl gasket is not in the way. Make sure the float moves freely on the float shaft and finally check that there is no crud trapped between the float needle and seat.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I've had plenty of Amals where the roll pin flare that holds the tickler button in place does not allow it to retract far enough. This keeps the float slightly depressed and the needle off the seat. . . flooding out the tickler hole.

8 times out of 10 when someone brings me a leaking tickler, this is the reason. It's pretty common on new Amals.

Jason

·
Registered
243 Posts
dael2713, I do alot of 930's and Goldy's advice is right on target. I would just add ,correct float height is .060-.080 below the float bowl gasket surface(the gasket is not part of this measurement) and I trim the float bowl gaskets around the float pin area as I've found a lot of aftermarket gaskets are just a bit "bigger" than they need to be and will interfere with the float. Jack

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I agree with all this ^^^^ and you may want to check that float and see if it actually does "float"...and not filling with fuel....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I pulled the right carb today and checked everything. I put it back together and it still leaks up a storm. I did notice that there is a fairly large flair on the inside tickler stem as mentioned by Jason. Can this be corrected? I ordered two new floats,2 viton tipped needles and an extra pair of float bowl gaskets just in case. I am getting frustated!!!!!!!! The bike runs like a dream and sounds great until I run out of gas in the float bowls. I don't relish the idea of gas dripped on a very hot exhaust. One other thing-the carbs are not new but have very few hours of run time on them. The leak started after I got it out of the shop for a full tune-up. I do not believe they openned the carbs.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
dael2713 said:
I did notice that there is a fairly large flair on the inside tickler stem as mentioned by Jason. Can this be corrected?
You can either squeeze the flared section of the roll pin back together so the tickler recedes further when released or carefully shorten the roll pin with a grinder so that it allows the float needle to seat fully when the tickler is at rest.

Jason

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there a proper length that the tickler roller pin extends into the car chamber. I would say my is almost one sixteenth inch in length.

·
Registered
243 Posts
dael2713,Try this,take the bowl off. Take the body with the bowl gasket in place and if the pin doesn't extend below the bottom of the gasket and your float level should be another .060-.080 below that,the pin isn't the problem. Jack

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Did this problem just pop up or has it always been a problem with this carb? have you installed any new parts in this one carb...
Here is a question I asked my wife when she told me sh was having problems with her laptop computer..."did you drop it?" ...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is a recent problem (since tune up at a local shop but they say they did not open up the carbs). I ordered new floats, gaskets and viton tipped pins (all Amal) but have not installed them yet/ Is it possible that the tickler itself is fucked up-The springs seems oK but I have never taken a tickler out or replaced one.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
As mentioned above, check the float bowl gasket and anything else that may prevent the float from returning to the top when full. Mine wouldn't stop leaking after I pushed the tickler in. Turned out that a little bit of sealant was on the float pivot pin and it gummed up both the pin pivoting in the bowl and the float pivoting on the pin! It also appeared "out of nowhere" and I blame it on the bowl being dry while I was too busy to ride it.....made the non-curing sealant rubbery.
Hope this helps!
Johnny

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I blew out the float bowl ducts with an airgun and replaced the bowl gasket with a genuine Amal (about twice as thick as the one in the kit purchased from a local Triumph dealer). Has not leaked a drop since. Thanks for all the imput.

·
Registered
54 Posts
***** Great thread *****

Just had the same issue <--- never before (sticky float once, tap to fix)

I have just cleaned & put 'amal genuine' seal kit through 2 x 932's
I had Fuel pissin' out through tickler... ( 1 carb only)
so I proceeded to:
- read this thread
- put old float bowl gasket in
- connect fuel lines, tickle... wait, tickle... all good
- kick, kick, kick... bike started
- set idle, stood back and admired, cracked throttle several times
- admired more & waited for wife to emerge & abuse (it's 11pm here)

wife still hasn't showed, I'm off for a few midnight laps around the block.

Thanks JJ, and all the contributors

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
A gasket that over hangs the edges will catch the side of the float and hold it down or in my case from a few years ago, the area of the gasket around the pivot pin didn't have enough cut out and was contacting the rear of the float. You're right on float height, but at least in my case the float was being interfered with and prevented from coming all the way back up. Float height was wrong because of the gasket holding it down. Then the needle won't seat and fuel just keeps pouring in. I'm not too good at wording this.....hope you know what I'm talking about here.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
A gasket that over hangs the edges will catch the side of the float and hold it down or in my case from a few years ago, the area of the gasket around the pivot pin didn't have enough cut out and was contacting the rear of the float. You're right on float height, but at least in my case the float was being interfered with and prevented from coming all the way back up. Float height was wrong because of the gasket holding it down. Then the needle won't seat and fuel just keeps pouring in. I'm not too good at wording this.....hope you know what I'm talking about here.
Experienced the same problem with new gaskets overhanging , blocking the float and or tickler shaft.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts