Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

i have a left hand Amal 930 on my pre unit triumph, works okay but it worn out almost beyond servicing so I’m gonna buy a new one. The thing is my bike has a long front end and even with rake in the frame the bike has a hell of a lean on it when on the stand.
My question is if I change to a right hand carb, purely for the convenience of having the tickler on the right hand side, will this affect fuelling in any way when trying to start the bike? I feel like with the lean there could be some over fuelling issue or some shit that might not occur to me when simply swapping the carbs over.
Any input would be appreciated!
Yes I will extend the stand eventually but for the time being I cba

Thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
i think the clues in the name, 'concentric', the floats in the middle either LHS or RHS fitment. Yes, it may be more prone to p*ss fuel out with a tickler on the left but i guess you would get a feel for what's enough.
With the amount of rake you're suggesting i'd be more concerned with the scavenger oil pipe not being able to do it's job properly when the machine is on the side stand and having smoky start ups.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I would think you'd be better off with a right hand carburetor...it would be less trone to pissing fuel out of the primer with the machine leaned over.

B.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think the clues in the name, 'concentric', the floats in the middle either LHS or RHS fitment. Yes, it may be more prone to p*ss fuel out with a tickler on the left but i guess you would get a feel for what's enough.
With the amount of rake you're suggesting i'd be more concerned with the scavenger oil pipe not being able to do it's job properly when the machine is on the side stand and having smoky start ups.
An interesting thought Thunderbird thanks, I’ll have a check on that this week

·
Registered
79 Posts
Have you thought about making and fitting a longer side stand to avoid the lean? Old Triumphs like lots of fuel for start up but if the carb is that warn you will probably find it will start much better without air slide leaks contributing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
One way with Amals you can adjust the float height is by rotating the carburetor at least on the spigot models. Most carbs will act funny when leaned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts