Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Yeah, but if it was that critical part needed to complete your big bucks racer, then it's well worth it. 5 bids so far. There's a few familiar guys on the list that have bid...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Two years ago, my partner and I took a side trip into LA California during speedweek in Bonniville. I met up with a friend of mine who grew up near the Crocker plant when they were still in business. He took us by it. The building is still there and here's a photo of it. All them beautiful bikes out of this little hole in the wall machine shop. His partner ended up making electric guitars after they closed. Bigsby was his name. Interesting history.

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought it to be a very cool tank also, I like aluminum, however I'm clueless on the value and knew you guys would school me a bit.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Creepinogie said:
Two years ago, my partner and I took a side trip into LA California during speedweek in Bonniville. I met up with a friend of mine who grew up near the Crocker plant when they were still in business. He took us by it. The building is still there and here's a photo of it. All them beautiful bikes out of this little hole in the wall machine shop. His partner ended up making electric guitars after they closed. Bigsby was his name. Interesting history.
as in bigsby tremolo's that are popular on gibson hollow body guitars?!

·
Registered
427 Posts
yard man said:
Chopper Chaz said:
Boylecomm said:
E Bay insanity????quote]

Not really... Have you seen how much a crocker goes for ?
I'm fully aware of Crocker's value...if someone will pay 3400 bux for a NOS springer headlight 7000 aint nothing when it comes to completing a bike...this is more my style...

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
choppercopper1 said:
I still like my henderson tanks.

they'll never look right on that VL project :) so you should sell them to me for myne...LOL..

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Chopper Chaz said:
this is more my style...
That's Jeff Decker's bike. If you ever get a chance to see "the worlds fastest Indian" Starring Anthony Hopkins, that bike has a cameo role in it. It has a British tranny in it. And although the bike's priceless, it's not worth near what one is if it had the Crocker Tranny or frame. That $7000 gas tank is from a Crocker single. The big twin tanks were different. Before he made big twins Al Crocker made singles for speedway racing and also OHV kits for Indian Racers. He also made quite a few parts in his shop for the indian Motocycle Co. I have a few of His OHV heads and have made a few of the repo parts for them. It'll be interesting to see what that tank goes for. Years ago I could have gotten into a Crocker V-Twin for $6000. Man.....

·
Registered
427 Posts
Creepinogie said:
That's Jeff Decker's bike. If you ever get a chance to see "the worlds fastest Indian" Starring Anthony Hopkins, that bike has a cameo role in it. It has a British tranny in it. And although the bike's priceless, it's not worth near what one is if it had the Crocker Tranny or frame. That $7000 gas tank is from a Crocker single. The big twin tanks were different. Before he made big twins Al Crocker made singles for speedway racing and also OHV kits for Indian Racers. He also made quite a few parts in his shop for the indian Motocycle Co. I have a few of His OHV heads and have made a few of the repo parts for them. It'll be interesting to see what that tank goes for. Years ago I could have gotten into a Crocker V-Twin for $6000. Man.....
I agree there is no value comparison but it sure is sweet if anything I would change on that bike would be the telescopic front end...it is way out of place on that ride...ya you sure messed up when you didn't pick up the one for 6 g's I'd of sold a kidney to purchase it...someone will fester up the cash atleast the reserve those rich kats are tighter then a church mouse the more they make the more they pinch unlike us kats...spend it till there is only lint left in our pockets...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bigsby also made a solid body guitar for, i believe, merle travis in the 50's.
Its very cool and it sold recently for well into the 6 figure range.
He went on to make the tremolo's for gibson, gretsch, and others. Were these two guys tied together through a foundry or something because they both dealt with cast mechanical parts. Hmmm.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Bigsby worked for Crocker. I think as a designer/patternmaker. That 6G's for a Crocker in the late 70's was alot of dough I didn't have at the time. I just didn't have it nor was I capable of getting it at the time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts