Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm poishing the aluminum on my Ironhead. I usually use a cloth buffing wheel and I've found that using mothers on the final buffing works really well. My question is, what should I use as a solvent to remove the oxidation on the aluminum? Is there a solvent I can use when I'm finished that will slow down future oxidation? Thanks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Don't know about the solvent issue but I've always used and loved Simichrome for the Bonnie's cases. Seemed to work the best.

Can you imagine my hardon when my work started buying Simichrome in gallon cans for the chrome polishing rolls? sadly I never scored a drop as all of the lowriders operating the machine had it....:)

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I've always used various grits of sand paper from rougher to finer depending on the amount of oxidation on the aluminum. I do this by wet sanding with a mildly soapy water. I follow up by polishing with a buffing wheel and then Mothers Aluminum and Mag polish.

I have always wanted to try Simichrome though but never have for some weird reason ! :cool:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have good luck using #0000 steel wool as an abrasive. Used almost every polish that I've found on the store shelfs or swaps and presently satisfied using Mothers Power Metal. Its for those Power Wheel deals.
WUZFUZ

·
Registered
85 Posts
If the piece is just oxidized and not scratched, I maybe use 600 grit wet, or dry, then buff it out with your wheel. I think they make a product called Zoop, that you coat the polished piece with that seals it. I never used a sealer on my stuff before. Just like to polish I guess.

·
Registered
128 Posts
eagle one nano polish for wheels and such
x's 2 on polishing wheel and wax, get it at sears for various metals

·
Registered
887 Posts
Dawn dish soap gets the black residue off the best. After polishing, I use Dawn n water with some 1000 grit to get all that black stuff off, then a rub down with some NeverDull

Sixball

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm going to try some #0000 steel wool on the headlight bucket for my FLH. I want to get the oxidation off, but I don't want it to end up too polished looking (still want it to have some age). I though about cleaning it with Dawn to get all residue and oils off when I'm done then a light coating of wax. I'll be in the garage tonight so I'll let you know what I think of it tomorrow.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I posted earlier that I use steel wool for polishing and have never seen the afore mentioned rust form, I am very particular about the conditition of my alloy so I guess the extra effort in the polishing phase removes the steel wool particals.
WUZFUZ

·
Registered
935 Posts
use a wax to finish ,this will keep air from oxidizing the aluminum after you polish .its easier to apply wax than it is to keep polishing,I use any automotive wax .the engine heat does not affect it too bad.plus it kicks the polishing up a notch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts