Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seems like they are.... like it says in classifieds, my buddy stripped out my risers, although i think he only stripped out bolts.... all the same size?

i wanna go to store and get a couple new ones and spend a buck there before i buy new risers, since noone has any they can spare cheap i guess...

let me know....

THANKS...

yesterday was the bike day from HEELLLLLL

·
Registered
236 Posts
Talkin about the bolts that hold the caps on right? I think most are 1/4-20 or 1/4-28

Are your risers aluminum? If so, take a good look at the bolts. Kind of rare that a steel bolt will cross thread or strip from an aluminum thread. If the the aluminum in tha base is just cross threaded you may be able to just run a tap into the holes to clean the threads up since the olny threads that "should" of had damage to them would be near the top, unless hte guy has no thought process and kept going even though it was tighter than shit...

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mute said:
unless hte guy has no thought process and kept going even though it was tighter than shit...
BINGO.... hes a moron

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
i believe they are steel risers, chrome plated... i remember taking them apart and seeing lil black springs (LoL, stripped threads).... i will have to look today, but pretty sure it was the bolts.... just figured it wouldnt hurt to buy new bolts ont eh way home... only 2 are stripped so it holds, but 1/16" gap on one side of each riser about, which isnt cool,. when im goin 60 and the bars push forwards, that wont feel right... dig?

·
Registered
236 Posts
51rat said:
i believe they are steel risers, chrome plated... i remember taking them apart and seeing lil black springs (LoL, stripped threads).... i will have to look today, but pretty sure it was the bolts.... just figured it wouldnt hurt to buy new bolts ont eh way home... only 2 are stripped so it holds, but 1/16" gap on one side of each riser about, which isnt cool,. when im goin 60 and the bars push forwards, that wont feel right... dig?
If you could see little black springs in there and the bolt still has threads also, might have had thread-serts in it already. You may get off pretty easily.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mute said:
If you could see little black springs in there and the bolt still has threads also, might have had thread-serts in it already. You may get off pretty easily.
what do i do then?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Use some skinny custom ground cheap needle nos pliers and pull the old one out. Run down to the hardwarestore and tell em you need a new one.

I think I have the tool to install em and maybe the threadserts for it to depending on the thread size. Could send em by mail if you send back to me. May be cheaper than buying what you need, although they are handy to have around..

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Mute said:
Use some skinny custom ground cheap needle nos pliers and pull the old one out. Run down to the hardwarestore and tell em you need a new one.
You can also go with oversize thread inserts if Mute's idea doesn't work out or suit you.

Time-serts makes oversize inserts called Big-serts.

I've used them successfully many times.

They sell direct to the public.

I don't work for them.

jason

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
came out in pieces, so i guess im screwed... was tossin em aside out of anger...

·
Registered
179 Posts
http://mdmetric.com/pdf/keysert.pdf

or just re-do the thread inserts. any decent auto parts place has this stuff, they even come in kits with the proper tap, inserts, and the little tool. maybe about $20 and you'll be ready to repair around 10 holes. the keyserts are badass but you may not have enough material around the risers to use them.

and to follow Mr McElroy, i don't work for fairchild - just a happy end user on occasion. these things were great in carbon indycar tubs assuming you didn't knock the entire phenolic hardpoint out.

brandon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts