Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off I wanna say hello to everyone. As I stated in my profile Im a no bullshit kinda man.I'll tell ya straight up...So here goes. I just bought a flyrite reach for the sky. Its on its way now being shipped from Austin Texas to St louis. Should be here the first of june. Cant wait, I'm goin crazy! Time to throw my self to the wolves.......Its my first bike, i've never ridden before. Dont even have my licence yet. I'm taking a riders course here in the Lou through IRON HORSE TAMERS. And I have friends who ride that are going to help me learn properly. Id like to hear any advise you would give a first time rider. Figured i'd put it all out the table. Thats alot better than coming to this forum trying to B.S. my way around and pretend I'm something I'm not. I dont know shit about riding and am eager to learn from those who do. Snake eyed boy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JEB said:
Welcome. That's a helluva first bike. Good for you, taking the rider's course. Even though your buddys mean well, I would trust the pro training over their advice.
Yep, I'm absolutly gonna do it. (the course). But if you, or anybody else out there has a solid piece of advise, something you have learned along the way. Id love to hear it. And thanks for the props on the bike! I may not know shit...but I know what I like!

·
Registered
182 Posts
taking a rider safety course is a smart way to go. i took one 17 years ago even though i'd been riding for a long time and i was glad that i did. unfortunately, there are some lessons that will only be learned from experience. first you have to learn to handle your own bike before you start putting around on the streets. (for instance; making sure you can turn a corner without ending up in a neighbor's yard!) THEN you gotta deal with everyone else. my credo is "trust no one". 98 percent of the people driving out there are imbeciles so don't trust anyone to make a sensible decision. assume no one sees you. i got hit from behind at an intersection by some crazy bitch who didn't see me sitting RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER! left turners are the worst! this, ofcourse, does not mean you should ride around scared shitless of everything. a motorcycle, even a chopper is a quick and agile machine. you have acceleration and maneuverability on your side. i prefer to leave the morons BEHIND so that whenever they spill their mocha latte in their lap, drop the cell phone and drive their pathfinder into a fuckin' tree, i'll be LONG GONE! sorry if i sound a little preachy but eventually i hope all this will become second nature for you, you'll develop a sort of rider survival instinct, then you will receive your standard issue black t-shirt and denim cutoff you'll be able to truly enjoy the experience. it's really all about common sense. you'll have a blast on that flyrite, and make sure you post a pic when it gets there. cheers! dave

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eveldave said:
taking a rider safety course is a smart way to go. i took one 17 years ago even though i'd been riding for a long time and i was glad that i did. unfortunately, there are some lessons that will only be learned from experience. first you have to learn to handle your own bike before you start putting around on the streets. (for instance; making sure you can turn a corner without ending up in a neighbor's yard!) THEN you gotta deal with everyone else. my credo is "trust no one". 98 percent of the people driving out there are imbeciles so don't trust anyone to make a sensible decision. assume no one sees you. i got hit from behind at an intersection by some crazy bitch who didn't see me sitting RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER! left turners are the worst! this, ofcourse, does not mean you should ride around scared shitless of everything. a motorcycle, even a chopper is a quick and agile machine. you have acceleration and maneuverability on your side. i prefer to leave the morons BEHIND so that whenever they spill their mocha latte in their lap, drop the cell phone and drive their pathfinder into a fuckin' tree, i'll be LONG GONE! sorry if i sound a little preachy but eventually i hope all this will become second nature for you, you'll develop a sort of rider survival instinct, then you will receive your standard issue black t-shirt and denim cutoff you'll be able to truly enjoy the experience. it's really all about common sense. you'll have a blast on that flyrite, and make sure you post a pic when it gets there. cheers! dave
Thanks man. its not preachy at all, that is exactly the kind of stuff im looking for. Thanks for taking the time. S.E.B (Gary)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
TurboRoadster said:
I'd buy shitloads of chrome and every bolt on thing you can find, assemble, then submit a picture and ask the populace what they think.

seriously, nice bike
Thanks! Im going to fog hollow tomorrow and buy every bolt on part
that is slatherd in chrome! I bet I can even find some plastic maltese crosses in
the Wal-mart automotive section! thanks for the tip!

But seriously, Thanks

·
Registered
726 Posts
If your drunk and it breaks down...park it and get away from it. Don't let a cop roll up on you drunk trying to wrench.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Don't drink and ride.

Watch intersections and driveways. The fools don't see us! Always be vigilant.

Keep tire pressures right.

Don't run out of gas unless it's by your house or a station.

Watch slow speed turns when you start out, the front end can suddenly feel heavy, lots of rookies spill that way.

Loud pipes do NOT save lives, they just annoy the hell out of folks. "But I can hear it a long ways off!" BS! How many times have you jumped out of your skin when a biker blows by you with pipes roaring? You don't hear pipes when rolling down the highway in a cage.....

Practice emergency braking on a deserted road. You never know how to stop hard if you don't practice it. Work up on it slow. Some fools say don't use the front brake, it'll spill you. Baloney. That's were most of your stopping power is.

You'll feel like a pro after a few weeks of riding. Don't forget, you will still be a rookie. Overconfidence causes road rash. Or worse.

Check out advanced riding courses after you get on the road.

Ride a dirt bike. It'll make you a better rider.

Trust your gut when it says something is wrong. Check it out, think about it, do the right thing.

Don't stop in small rural towns late at night and hang out on the street. The shadows have eyes and guns, and know you are a thief, rapist, vandal, and terrorist, bent on destruction and mayhem. I learned that the hard way.

Wear a lid. A good one. I have trouble breathing through my nose most days because I didn't.

Wear ear protection or a really quiet helmet. Being half deaf isn't fun. Lots of wind noise is death to hearing. Pipes that make your innards shake are not good either. Huh? Would you repeat that? (hand by ear, trying to make sense of garbled noise)

Wear good eye protection. The old bug in the eye trick is more fun to watch than to experience. They will find a way in if you look sideways.

Have an experienced HD wrench check your assembly work.

Have fun. That's what it's about. Enjoy rural or quiet roads. Write a journal about the experience of getting into bikes, with pics.

Ride Safe! BobW

·
Registered
237 Posts
Every bit of this is good advice. The best I have to offer is as follows:

Leave lots of room in front of you at all times.

Be sure you can see around the vehicle in front of you, if you can't then you trust the driver in front of you to be your eyes, to slow when you would slow and to see what you would see. It doesn't work.

Leaving room and having a good line of sight gives you options, places to go, time to stop, paths of avoidance.

Like BobW, I'm nearly deaf on the pipe side of my head. My ears ring and I've caught trash in my eye that cut my retina and took nearly a year to heal. And yesterday? I swallowed half a bird - no shit. But I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. In fact, I do it again every single day and will until the bird flu gets me.

Welcome.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Welcome SEB. All excellent advice above. The things that helped me the most were 1) always expect the fuck-head in the cage to pull in front of you. 8/10 times they will. 2) learn to use you brakes properly. The majority of your braking power comes from your front brake, but there's the right and wrong times to use them. Learn this well! 3) Ride and ride and ride and ride. The more you do it the better you get. Start in a big parking lot and prectice your slow speed riding and braking. Any idiot can ride fast but to ride slow and in control is also vital. When riding fast refer to lesson 2.

·
Registered
617 Posts
After every ride, I mean every ride, take a good look at your scoot. go over it with your hands touching everything (after it's cooled off) looking for loose shit. It's a rigid, shit comes loose and breaks on occasion. get yourself a nice tool bag and pack it full of essentials because stuff will come off and break on you, be prepared. re loc-tite every damn bolt you remove loosen or tighten. get a nice little trickle charge battery charger for those cold days, when you're not riding, to keep it juiced up and for gods sake get a damn kicker.

mitch

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
watch out for possum and new americans, and if in nyc taxi's cab drivers are kind of dangerous, sometimes they hit you for fun - (cocksuckers) oh and if your me stay off a skateboard - good luck - AJ

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
R90S/2 said:
Don't drink and ride.

Watch intersections and driveways. The fools don't see us! Always be vigilant.

Keep tire pressures right.

Don't run out of gas unless it's by your house or a station.

Watch slow speed turns when you start out, the front end can suddenly feel heavy, lots of rookies spill that way.

Loud pipes do NOT save lives, they just annoy the hell out of folks. "But I can hear it a long ways off!" BS! How many times have you jumped out of your skin when a biker blows by you with pipes roaring? You don't hear pipes when rolling down the highway in a cage.....

Practice emergency braking on a deserted road. You never know how to stop hard if you don't practice it. Work up on it slow. Some fools say don't use the front brake, it'll spill you. Baloney. That's were most of your stopping power is.

You'll feel like a pro after a few weeks of riding. Don't forget, you will still be a rookie. Overconfidence causes road rash. Or worse.

Check out advanced riding courses after you get on the road.

Ride a dirt bike. It'll make you a better rider.

Trust your gut when it says something is wrong. Check it out, think about it, do the right thing.

Don't stop in small rural towns late at night and hang out on the street. The shadows have eyes and guns, and know you are a thief, rapist, vandal, and terrorist, bent on destruction and mayhem. I learned that the hard way.

Wear a lid. A good one. I have trouble breathing through my nose most days because I didn't.

Wear ear protection or a really quiet helmet. Being half deaf isn't fun. Lots of wind noise is death to hearing. Pipes that make your innards shake are not good either. Huh? Would you repeat that? (hand by ear, trying to make sense of garbled noise)

Wear good eye protection. The old bug in the eye trick is more fun to watch than to experience. They will find a way in if you look sideways.

Have an experienced HD wrench check your assembly work.

Have fun. That's what it's about. Enjoy rural or quiet roads. Write a journal about the experience of getting into bikes, with pics.

Ride Safe! BobW
Wow! lots of good stuff Thanks For sittin down and passin it on.
I will take heed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SltyDog said:
Welcome SEB. All excellent advice above. The things that helped me the most were 1) always expect the fuck-head in the cage to pull in front of you. 8/10 times they will. 2) learn to use you brakes properly. The majority of your braking power comes from your front brake, but there's the right and wrong times to use them. Learn this well! 3) Ride and ride and ride and ride. The more you do it the better you get. Start in a big parking lot and prectice your slow speed riding and braking. Any idiot can ride fast but to ride slow and in control is also vital. When riding fast refer to lesson 2.
Thanks to you and all who have responded and will respond in the future!!! Your all a bunch of stand up dudes!!! Greatly appreciated.
S.E.B

·
Registered
523 Posts
enjoy every minute you are riding 'cos there really is nothing quite like it...................and never ride a bike in London if you can help it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Don't ride with your buddies until you can ride by yourself... Strangers won't try and scare you on purpose, buddies will...

Never park it nose in on a downward slope...

·
Registered
770 Posts
4t64rd said:
Don't ride with your buddies until you can ride by yourself... Strangers won't try and scare you on purpose, buddies will...

Never park it nose in on a downward slope...
I park my goldwing trike like that all the time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
roadrash05 said:
ol snake eyes is gonna get all bonered out once he fires up the f.r.c and fuck something up in his excitement/ haste to ride it.[/quote
If old snake eyes fucks somthin up it aint gonna be out of excitement or haste, I think the way in which im approaching things with the classes
and my willingness to learn from you all ,shows that im not an excitable hasty dumb fuck. but thanks for the confidence, Ass!:)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts