Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me whether or not the stock 18 inch and 19 Inch aluminum laced wheels that came on my 78 sportster are Akront. I was tld by somone they were but I am not sure if they were correct.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Can anyone tell me whether or not the stock 18 inch and 19 Inch aluminum laced wheels that came on my 78 sportster are Akront. I was tld by somone they were but I am not sure if they were correct.
I don't think they are. Look at the rim and you'll see the size stamped in it. You'll also see 2 letters like WM or CM. That's the rim profile. I think those rims use the CM profile that was developed by Goodyear for Harley. I've never seen that profile on any other manufacturer's rim. As far as I know, Akront used the WM profile.

Bob

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you now I will have to go out and check out what they are marked.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
The rims were made in Italy by Borrani for Harley-Davidson to their, and Goodyear's specs. If those are the original factory rims, they're CM profile. Also, if your bike is together, you won't see any marks. They are stamped on the inside near the valve stem hole with the HD part number and the size.

here's some reading. http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22085

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have often thought it,so it might as well be in print...this forum has the smartest,most knowledgable people on the planet when it comes to bikes.I cannot vouch for their Quantum physics,but if anyone has a scoot question,this is the place.A huge thank-you to all of you you who have the Answers...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the great info! I was definitely misinformed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts