Jockey Journal Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
StraightPipez said:
I think this particluar "builder" accomplished everything you said a long time ago...
Perhaps, but the ball has been dropped. I'm just calling it as I see it. I don't expect anybody to agree with me, and I'm not getting down on anybody who likes it. But I think it lacks.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Ya' know... the more I look at this thing the more I like it. It's not the type of bike we like to talk about around here, but I will say this, there is some good craftsmanship going on and I respect that more than anything. I could have been A LOT worse IMO! Whoever made the reference to it being better than the Boss Hoss was right on! It could have been like that. OR it could have been like the bike I saw this summer with the Viper engine in it! STUPID! No thought as to the style. it least an effort was made on JJ's part to try and pull off some style with a rediculous affair.

·
Registered
49 Posts
greggski said:
No, it needs an Old wooden Senensich Prop. I would like someone to build a Vtwin out of a couple of Wright Cyclone 3350 Jugs. That would be cool.

Gregg
I would love to to do that. I've started to do some research about that. Do you want to donate a pair of jugs to the cause?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Slipkid said:
I would love to to do that. I've started to do some research about that. Do you want to donate a pair of jugs to the cause?
The most common, lowest cost and most dramatic set of cylinders/pistons/conrods (forked) would be a Wright R1820-86 type engine. If you used the same stroke rods/crank throw you would effectively be running two 202.0 CID cyliders = 404.0 CID total.

You should ask for usable but non-airworthy units. Perfectly fine for what you need, just wouldnt want to fly with them. I will attach the link to a shop I have used before, great people, and they have more junk 1820 stuff than anyone else.

http://www.acftcyl.com/Engines.htm

Good luck, it would be awesome to see one put together correctly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dr. Jett said:
The most common, lowest cost and most dramatic set of cylinders/pistons/conrods (forked) would be a Wright R1820-86 type engine. If you used the same stroke rods/crank throw you would effectively be running two 202.0 CID cyliders = 404.0 CID total.

You should ask for usable but non-airworthy units. Perfectly fine for what you need, just wouldnt want to fly with them. I will attach the link to a shop I have used before, great people, and they have more junk 1820 stuff than anyone else.

http://www.acftcyl.com/Engines.htm

Good luck, it would be awesome to see one put together correctly.
Thanks for the info!! Even if the stroke was 1/2 of that it's still be a hell of a displacement.

I don't know much about aircraft engines specifics. Are they mostly short stroke / large bore or more 'square'? I'm assuming the compression is fairly low. And when you refer to forked rods, does that mean each rod is a bolt on arrangement like a car engine and not a master rod / pinned auxillary rod set up?

I'd love to do a build up like this. Why be like everyone else on the road. I'd put it in a 30's / 40's style cruiser with a 1/4 elliptical springer front like the real old Indians. One 11'center headlight with a 7" on either side. Maybe a skirted rear fender.... (he stares wistfully into the distance)

I'll have to whip out my Snap-On magic wand and whip one up!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Slipkid, If you really want 2 jugs let me know. I work for a company called Neptune aviation and we operate Lockheed P2V's as Fire Bombers. The engines are Wright Cyclone 3350's that have 18 cylinders. We have a good supply of non-airworthy cyliners,pistons,valve train etc,etc,. If your serious i could send that shit if you pay for shipping. That would be about 100lbs of stuff. Let me know.

Gregg

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
greggski said:
Slipkid, If you really want 2 jugs let me know. I work for a company called Neptune aviation and we operate Lockheed P2V's as Fire Bombers. The engines are Wright Cyclone 3350's that have 18 cylinders. We have a good supply of non-airworthy cyliners,pistons,valve train etc,etc,. If your serious i could send that shit if you pay for shipping. That would be about 100lbs of stuff. Let me know.

Gregg
UH OH! come on slipkid! You have to do it now! I want to see this thing! Would be a cool build!

·
Registered
49 Posts
scootermcrad said:
UH OH! come on slipkid! You have to do it now! I want to see this thing! Would be a cool build!
Man, I dunno :confused: - in stock form I'd end up with a 394 cid V Twin engine. That's a abso-flippin'-lutely HUGE!!! Even if I destroke it 50% that's still a monster. :D

Oh no doubt, it'd be a real cool build so of course I'm real keen on doing it but don't you think I should learn how to ride first?

·
Registered
607 Posts
"I'd love to do a build up like this. Why be like everyone else on the road. I'd put it in a 30's / 40's style cruiser with a 1/4 elliptical springer front like the real old Indians. One 11'center headlight with a 7" on either side. Maybe a skirted rear fender.... (he stares wistfully into the distance)" Slipkid

So instead of building it Jesse James style you would build it Hank Young style? :D

Maybe Zero will do one with a Mitsubishi Zero engine. 1941 is about the vintage Mr. Kimura likes to work with.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Slipkid said:
Thanks for the info!! Even if the stroke was 1/2 of that it's still be a hell of a displacement.

I don't know much about aircraft engines specifics. Are they mostly short stroke / large bore or more 'square'? I'm assuming the compression is fairly low. And when you refer to forked rods, does that mean each rod is a bolt on arrangement like a car engine and not a master rod / pinned auxillary rod set up?

I'd love to do a build up like this. Why be like everyone else on the road. I'd put it in a 30's / 40's style cruiser with a 1/4 elliptical springer front like the real old Indians. One 11'center headlight with a 7" on either side. Maybe a skirted rear fender.... (he stares wistfully into the distance)

I'll have to whip out my Snap-On magic wand and whip one up!
Some German has alrady started on it:

http://www.leonhardtweb.de/

·
Registered
49 Posts
ChopperMark said:
"I'd love to do a build up like this. Why be like everyone else on the road. I'd put it in a 30's / 40's style cruiser with a 1/4 elliptical springer front like the real old Indians. One 11'center headlight with a 7" on either side. Maybe a skirted rear fender.... (he stares wistfully into the distance)" Slipkid

So instead of building it Jesse James style you would build it Hank Young style? :D

Maybe Zero will do one with a Mitsubishi Zero engine. 1941 is about the vintage Mr. Kimura likes to work with.
Forgive my ignorance, but I have no idea who Hank Young. However, I bet I like his stuff better than JJ's. No offense to you JJ fans out there but most of his work does nothing for me. His wife on the other hand... :D

Did Mr Kimora do a green and copper knucklehead with a springer fork on one of those biker build-off shows? If so I saw that and I loved it. That is more my style and so is (was) Indian Larry's stuff.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.