Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm running an s&s carb on my flh and i've never really liked the s&s teardrop air cleaner. i'm pondering ideas as what to run. i like the look of a small velocity stack, but i don't know about performance related to lack of filter. i have a little 5 1/2" unit that i was gonna modify to use a k&n on my carb, but i'm open to suggestions. any ideas and pics would be very welcome.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
i wanna run a 4" velocity stack... looks kool, easier to throw in some starter fluid on cold days, LOL

·
Registered
170 Posts
I actually made air cleaner out of an old "splash" cymbal from my drumming days. Of course that was a bendix so it worked out like a car air cleaner. I used a felt and wing nut just like a drummer would.
Doesn't help you but I thought it cool and wanted to share, I run an
S & S now as well...with the ugly teardrop.

Frank in Austin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that cymbal cleaner sounds cool, got any pics? my good buddy is a drummer, i'm sure he'd be interested in seeing such a thing.

i'm not sure about the velocity stack, i don't wanna get too much crap sucked in.

<O:pi just want something simple. there's not too much out there for the s&s, and most of its crap that's inexplicably expensive. i don't want some b.s. billet flame/skull/cross for $500 or one of those pointy <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "schemas-GSKSiteLocations-com/fourthcoffee" /><st1:flavor>OCC</st1:flavor> cone jobs. i guess i'll just make something. just hoping for a few pics/ideas.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I wouldn't run a stack if you plan on riding the bike alot. How about a goodson? They all look good, especially the classic ribbed one or the "little breather" one. I also like those small, domed SU looking aircleaners. Both of those will offer great performance while looking sweet.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
ebay,,,,, they get a lil expensive....

im just gonna run wire mesh inside mine, like i do on the hot rod motor

·
Registered
328 Posts
Here is one I made. Muffler tube, 1/8" steal, filter from k&n web site, then give the number to your local dealer. I think it was about 12 bucks for the filter, scrap plate free, exaust tube free. Like I always say save your money for beer and hookers. tim

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
thanks for all the replys. i dig that s&s mushroom thing, looks cool. and i've found a few filter insert things for stacks, but i think i'm just gonna stay away from using one. i think i might go with a domed SU type. but the jury's still out.

on a related note, i read that i'll need to support the carb some how if i'm not running the teardrop with the bracket it came with. is this true? i ran the stock carb with a small round filter without a support bracket and no prblems there. any comments?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.