Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this is probaly not the route that most of the guys on this board would go, but I'm going to buy a new harley probaly this weekend. This will be my primary means of transportation, my 72 Triumph OIL Rigid will be my weekend warrior. I need something reliable to ride to work everyday, and for my trips to Houston. And where ever else I end up. I debating between the 1200C Sporster and the Street Bob. Yes I said Street Bob.

The sportsteris a great bike cause of its endless mods I can do and of its popular swap to a rigid(Flyrite). I've been riding my buddies new 883 to work for the past couple of weeks. Man is it fun to ride. He's done a couple of things to deHarley it.

Also, the Street Bob. It would look great with different seat, fender cut, no front fender, no signals. Any how, I found two links below of bikes that I think look good. Neither are rigid, but there still nice. I welcome advice, bashing, cussing, and finger pointing. I am not easliy offended. Thanks.

Sporster:
http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6289&d=1146159733

Street Bob:
http://www.hdforums.com/photosearch.asp?sortTypes=6&titlefilter=&memfilter=basic&timefilter=&hitfilter=&ratefilter=&commentfilter=&page=1

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I own a new harley, well it weas new last year when I bought it. Same reason as you needed a reliable source of trans to and from work. And whenI take off for a run a few hundred miles off you can guess which bike I'll be on.
I also own a 78 shvl in a rigid frame, will be nice when it's done but it will be a weekend ridder/barhopper.
My advice is buy the one that blows your hair back. Although I've never been one for the harley "special edition" Models
Good luck, enjoy the smooth new ride.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Just a heads up about the new Sportsters (i have an '04)...they are not as easily modifiable as the '03s and earlier - in regards to performance motor work. I say this only because there is still not a wide availability of parts for them. I think Andrews came out with a cam set just recently, there are a few performance exhausts, a couple of ignitions, and I think someone is doing high comp. pistons now. There's still stuff you can do, but just not as much as for the pre-'04 models (yet).

·
Registered
634 Posts
Does it have to be a new Sporty? What about one that is 5 or 6 years old? The new ones seem so sterile. I hate those oil tanks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking at new 06 just because its easy to get financing and I'd rather have it new. I'm just weird like that.

·
Registered
391 Posts
If money is not object I would go with the Dyna, just the basic dyna, not the Street Bob. You can rattle can the tank your self and save a couple of bucks. The new Dynas have six speed tranny's and the front end is a 41MM midglide. They come with floating rotors and all in all look like the New Harley to buy. I own a sporty rigid and love quad cams but if I was buying new it would certainly be a Dyna. Good luck and do not pay over Retail unless they use KY Jelly.
Jakemon

·
Registered
11 Posts
Before you make up your mind, take a look at the new Triumphs.
Then again, one of each would be ideal. Hell, buy'em all.

·
Registered
770 Posts
If you are thinkin about gettin a sportster than swappin to rigid, why not just get a flyrite bobber? You could do it brand new for cheaper than a street bob. And its not supporting evil harley, but humble flyrite. Even a bonnie America would be better than a 883. Mine ws way cooler than any sporty, granted its not as fast as a twelve, but it will dust an 883. Mine was 4500 and I put over 4k on it before I wrecked it. Never had a single problem. and it had over 15k on the ticker when I got it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
tbone16 said:
If you are thinkin about gettin a sportster than swappin to rigid, why not just get a flyrite bobber? You could do it brand new for cheaper than a street bob. And its not supporting evil harley, but humble flyrite. Even a bonnie America would be better than a 883. Mine ws way cooler than any sporty, granted its not as fast as a twelve, but it will dust an 883. Mine was 4500 and I put over 4k on it before I wrecked it. Never had a single problem. and it had over 15k on the ticker when I got it.
Man I have to agree with Tbone in the harley support they are doing alot of the lobbying to make it harder for us to build and ride what you want. Get a FlyRite and support your local shop for service not the dealership that won't even support or work on bikes of their own history. Not trying to change this thread but get a new FlyRite or other legit company like that.Plus I think the new fuel injected bikes have the fuel pump in the gas tank trying to change things on a new harley is only going to get tougher except if you are picking your custom parts out of their catalog sorry I could rant about this for decades. . .

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a Street Bob. Traded in my FLHT on it. I'd love to have a rigid framed bike (FRC, SPS, whatnot...) but I'd have to have 2. A rigid just wouldn't be feasible for the type of riding I do most often. As far as the basic Dyna, that IS the street bob. It's simply a low rider without all the chrome & crap. I got the flat black, because i don't like to polish, i like to ride.

at out the door at 15k, you're at a toss up between the dyna and a FRC. it all depends on what you're needing, defintely two very different bikes.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Go for the Flyrite. I have 5 harleys, and harley won't work on 4 of them. 2005 was last year of carb harley, nuttin but elect. now. Too much to dick with even if you're just changing pipes. Fuck Harley, they turned thier backs on people like me that supported them thru the Lean AMF Years. Just Venting again.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Panman51 said:
Go for the Flyrite. I have 5 harleys, and harley won't work on 4 of them. 2005 was last year of carb harley, nuttin but elect. now. Too much to dick with even if you're just changing pipes. Fuck Harley, they turned thier backs on people like me that supported them thru the Lean AMF Years. Just Venting again.
I think most have the option of carb or efi. The Dyna is all efi. They've also done some other not so friendly things like adding o2 sensors to the headpipes on the dyna line (closed-loop system) & I found a nice cat-converter in one of the exhaust pipes (which are no longer on my bike). They are definitely not the bikes they used to be where you could modify the shit out of them and rebuild etc... I've had this one for 2 months, and if i had to do it again, i'd rethink my decision.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had an '02 FXST carb I bought new...

Sold it in 18 months...

Payments suck...

So does trying to avoid that first scratch.

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
Flyrite makes high quality bikes and backs all thier work 100%; how could you go wrong with that?? these days thats a refreshing alternative to the motor company.

...Jason's puta-bike and Zac's donkey-punch had no problems on the el diablo run and they had just been built. fuck, puta would have made the whole trip if it wasn't for that MUCHO traffic cone incident on the mountain! HA HA

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
hogtownhd said:
Just a heads up about the new Sportsters (i have an '04)...they are not as easily modifiable as the '03s and earlier - in regards to performance motor work. I say this only because there is still not a wide availability of parts for them. I think Andrews came out with a cam set just recently, there are a few performance exhausts, a couple of ignitions, and I think someone is doing high comp. pistons now. There's still stuff you can do, but just not as much as for the pre-'04 models (yet).
dont kid yourself, my 04 1200R is in the 140hp range.
nallin racing has tons of goodies (heads cam package), programmable ignition fom Thunder-heart, . there are tons of ways to make power, even out of the new ones. the 04 and up 1200 have the buell xb heads, great starting point, send them to nallin for porting and bigger valves under $1,000. I just spent 2,400 there and have bolt on 110hp, the turbo adds some more, or I can spray on it for an easy 140+
Lots of different head porting combos, various makes of cams on the market, carbs etc etc

·
Registered
773 Posts
If you are definitely looking at Harleys, look at the used bikes that are out there. There are so many people who buy them to "have a harley" then when the wife bitches, or they scare themselves once or twice, they get rid of them. My old man has been talking about buying a brand new one. I told him to scour the cycle-trader first. There are a lot of nice bikes out there that have already been upgraded with pipes, cams, heads, etc...good as new, just ridden a little bit. Or they sat in the garage, and they're looking for someone to take them out on the road.

I will never buy a "brand new" anything again. Bikes, cars, trucks...
Underwear and beer should definitely be purchased new though...

4t64rd said:
I had an '02 FXST carb I bought new...

Sold it in 18 months...

Payments suck...

So does trying to avoid that first scratch.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Ryno, he wants to finance it...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all the Flyrites hardtails? He is looking for a non hardtail, cause he already has a Trump rigid.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Django said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all the Flyrites hardtails? He is looking for a non hardtail, cause he already has a Trump rigid.
He said he might get a new sporty to put it in a (smokin gun) rigid chasis.

·
Registered
773 Posts
whoops...
Missed that part.

When i bought mine, i financed through Capital One, over the internet.
It's a 91 and i still got a better rate than my buddies who got brand new bikes from the showroom and financed through Harley.
They also don't penalize you for being late on a payment or two.
Very hassle-free.
Gotta have good credit though.

Django said:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts