Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found this 1972 Sportster and want to go down and check it out. Was told the rear section was a bolt on type that was welded, and that the trans had new bearings 3 years ago. Unknown mileage. Has clear title so he says.

Anything I should look for when I go check it out? Other than the obvious?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :) He's asking 2500.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
1972 was the first year 1000. Top end parts: heads, cylinders, head gaskets, etc. are all 1972 and early 1973 only parts. Take a look at the bottom of the cases directly below the crankcase for the drain plug and see if it's blown out or is slathered in JB Weld. I always look at the drain plug(s). If it looks dicey, walk away. That's a lot of work to fix that fuck up.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Something is fishy....

The 72 is the last of the drum front brake and also the last of the speedo being drove from the tranny....

That bike has the banana front brake.....???
I had a 72 and it came with the one year only 73 banana caliper.

Also, where do you put your feet when you want to shift or brake?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Huh..?? :confused:

Didn't known there was a change from 52 to 74 in the foot-pegs..???
Yeah I noticed that too. Has highway pegs. He must use his heel to brake.??

I figure if it checks out okay i'll be tearing it down anyway and building what I want. I just want to make sure the motor and trans are good, along with the frame and title. I would be looking to buld a bobber out of it anyway.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I'll tell you what, the banana caliper that came on my 72 was like throwing an anchor out to stop. That one stopped like no other front caliper I've ever had!

Good luck.

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
Take a look at the bottom of the cases directly below the crankcase for the drain plug and see if it's blown out or is slathered in JB Weld. I always look at the drain plug(s). If it looks dicey, walk away. That's a lot of work to fix that fuck up.
If it is indeed a 72 with a speedo drive in the case....Better get you a mirror to take a look at this area...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So update on this. OP never called back or was into my questions. anyway I found something else of interest. I really wanna build a shovelhead bobber and found this basket. It's a 74. He's asking 3500. I already talked to hi and he says it needs to be rebuilt . I haven't seen it yet. Just not sure I wanna pay 3500. Frame not original but has matching numbers and title. Advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hm. Aftermarket frame, but the numbers match??

You need to have a peek at that paper and see what exactly it's titled as before you get into a too-familiar title mess...
He told me it had a tag on the frame with a matching number. Registered as a 74 Custom build. I guess I am wondering if buying a Shovel knowing it needs a rebuild is worth what he's asking. I want to build a rigid with a shovel motor and this bike looks like a good start as long as the motor is rebuildable.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Another approach?? Nothing original in the advice below, its been given here many times.

For that cash you should be able to hunt up a BT shovel in an orig frame with most if not all parts. Save a little longer and you'll get a runner. It will take time, patience and chasing all leads you are given but starting with a matching number swing arm bike with GOOD numbers and title will put you a MILE ahead. Sell off the parts you dont need, get Mike to weld on a rigid section and your numbers remain good and you get what you are after.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another approach?? Nothing original in the advice below, its been given here many times.

For that cash you should be able to hunt up a BT shovel in an orig frame with most if not all parts. Save a little longer and you'll get a runner. It will take time, patience and chasing all leads you are given but starting with a matching number swing arm bike with GOOD numbers and title will put you a MILE ahead. Sell off the parts you dont need, get Mike to weld on a rigid section and your numbers remain good and you get what you are after.
Hey, thanks for that advice. This is what I think I was looking for. Thanks again. :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That be a late 84 with the alt....
Price looks good....May see a need for a new/upgrade clutch basket in the future....If it hasn't been done yet.
I looked at it yesterday real quick. It was a bit rainy so I could not inspect well enough. I plan on choppin it up anyway. I'll go take a look this afternoon. I thought the price seemed good.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Damn, where were all these last generation Ironheads when I was looking for one?

Looks like a good price on that one too.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts