Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last nite my dad came over and we were hangin'in the garge drinkin' beers and talkin' cars & bikes like we often do. i showed him the seat i made for my bike and explained how i was gonna cover it with the leather form a jacket i got for free. he aksed if i wanted to try to do some stiching to it. turn out he has an industrial/upholsterers sewing machine that i can have if i want.
here's the question. how tuff is this to do? i'm a pretty handy,creative, and patient guy and was an art major in college. is this like most new things that you just need a little talent+a little patience+a lotta practice?

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's not rocket science... but you have to know a few things...

how to thread the needle, adjust the bobbin tension with different needle and thread sizes. Use the correct needle with thread sizes. presser foot tension...
When you get good you can slip the clutch and go super slow...

The main thing is learning how sew in a straight line. just remember that you don't want to slam the foot pedal and sew 10000 stitches per second you want that thing to go slow and then when you get it down, sew away...

I find i sew more test pieces on scaps than sewing what i need to sew. but in all, it can be very rewarding...

·
Registered
625 Posts
if it is not a walking neddle feed...
practice alot before you start.
(the pressue from the feed dog and the foot will stretch the leather and you wont come out even if you dont have a walking neddle feed but it can still be done...)
start with two strips about 6 to 10 inches long and sew them together and get them to end evenly. then cut two half circles and do the same with them. rip them out and practice over and over and over..you'll start to see how real quick.
you can use a little spray glue to help but it "may"(read as will) gum up your neddle and hook...

you can do it.. its not hard.. it's an adventure...my family has been sewing generations.
when you go for the seat you can always rip it out and start again.. you'll just have a few lil punchure marks but, just make up a story about runnin from the law and shot guns and laugh it off...

butche

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx guys. i'll give ti a try maybe this weekend. if i cant get a hang of it in a week or two you'll see a sewing machine for trade rite here in the future. HAHA!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts