Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The woodruff key slot on my pan's trans is blown out, so I got to replace the shaft. Do I need to have a machinist press off the gears or can they be removed with out fucking them up at home? If so, can I install them on the new main shaft with out fucking them up or the new shaft? I have no problem taking the shaft to a machinist to press them off, but I'd like to save a buck if It can be done at home. If you've done it before, let me know you did it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
first off how bad is your key slot...if not completely gone that can be repaired with a heli arc and some 308 filler rod...next is that if you don't have a HD service repair manual for your trans there is more involved then just taking the shaft out and replacing it...while your in there it is a good time to change your counter shaft if worn, gear bearings and check your case bushings and races...a old 4-speed is much like a old clock...properly put together it will last a good number of years..something missed while working on it may cause it to un-wind sort of speaking...as far as pressing anything it can be taken apart with a rawhide or rubber mallet and a few good wacks...couple snap rings hold a few gears to the mainshaft replace those snap rings don't re-use them they could come out of the snap ring grove and you will have a grenade instead of a tranny...like I said anything is not in tolerance replace it...sounds like your clutch hub wasn't tight enough I've seen motor key slots chip but never a tranny...make sure you use red loctite when you re-torque the clutch hub nut also on re-assembly

·
Registered
149 Posts
i have rebuilt two early 4-speeds that run nice. your lucky you get to take one apart to see the process in reverse. use a nice clean table and some little jars for the little bearings . do not mismatch the bearings either.
the clymers manual along with the factory manual has a pretty good breakdown. take pictures, label shit, and keep everything clean. replace all seals and gaskets. goodluck

·
Registered
583 Posts
By all means Replace all the locks and Snap Rings as Chaz said. I didn't back along time ago when I thought I knew a lot. Theirs a snap ring on the main shaft that locates third gear. I didn't replace IT! about a month after the rebuild I was in Florida hauling ass down the highway when the trans exploded big time. It seems the snap ring let go allowing third gear to engage while I was already in fourth (seven speed!). I got luck and left the road right into one of those little swamps Florida call medians. Most suppliers sell kits that have all the snap rings, locks, gaskets, ect for a rebuild. They also sell bearing kits that's a good idea to replace while your there .

·
Registered
896 Posts
Like the old saying goes: There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always time to do it again. Fortune cookie words of wisdom for you bro.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you have a job shop machine shop near you have it check the shaft for
straightness with a dial indicator,if ok have him cut a new keyway180 degrees
from the original,this is just a cheap quick fix,not intended to be the perminent repair.If the clutch hub is salvaveable,after you torque it to spects,don't forget
to spin it by hand,and use the indicator again to make sure it pulled up square
and is running true.Good luck and replace it before it causes more damage,and the time and money spent now will be nothing compared to what it might cost you in the future.It doesn't have to be perfect,but it has to be right.Do not not do a job now that has to be done, because you can.t do it
perfect,it took me a long time to find that balance,and just enjoy the ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts