Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who wear a helmet (either by force or by choice), what style do you prefer:

1) non-DOT approved pudding bowl
2) non-DOT approved polo helmet
3) Non-DOT approved German WWII helmet
4) DOT-approved half helmet (any style)
5) Retro open face (Buco, Bell, NOS Shoei, etc.)
6) Modern open face (Bell, Arai, KMC, etc.)
7) Full face

I'm all over the place on this one and I can't figure out why. Nothing seems to work... thanks for showing me the light.

·
motorcycle enthusiast
2,656 Posts
#5 because if I am going to be forced to wear one , I might as well wear the most retarded looking cry for attention I can fit on my head , and #7 for riding on the highway or in weathery or long distance situations for comfort and actual " saftey " effects .

·
Registered
135 Posts
My 2 cents......for wind protection,noise and overall comfort. the modern full face helmets are the way to go.They are not cool looking....but helmet design has come a long way. Try one see what you think. There are several designs and styles as well as manufacturers.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Nothing other than a Full face have ever been comfortable on the road at speed...allthe 1/2 or 3/4 lids start to float at 70 mph and try to yank your head off at 90....

If you are gonna wear something then why not the safest thing you can choose?

I use a Bieffe fullface but I remove the face shield...for some reason I like SOME wind in my face......

The thing about helmets is this.....sizes mean NOTHING.....a small by one manufacturer fits me and a large by another fits me....there is no standard....many brands simply WILL NOT fit my head right....

Try many differnt brand until you find one you like and that fits you well....

AND who says a full face is ugly....you can paint it, sticker it...whatever you want...

In Texas all the Banditos wear full face......telll them they are pussies!?!?!?

When you plant your face on the highway at 70 you will thank me....

·
Registered
257 Posts
For what its worth I wear a couple of differnt styles, on the road going fast Shoei full face, the only way to go, comfortable, light weight and gives great protection from noise, wind, and pavement. Around town or short trips on the Chief a half helmet, so I can hear the parts fall off in time to go back and get them (just kidding). I should wear the full face on that but I just can't bring myself to wear one knowing I'll never hit 70, let alone cruise over 55.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Can't wear a full face, tried, but it gives me claustro in a weird kind of way. Right now I wear a Davida pudding bowl, and goggles. The thing I like about them is they use ribbing and not padding. But Nappy was nice enough to pick me up a nifty 60's Templar large metal flake half helmet that I want to get repadded. I will be invincible. :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
7) full face Shoei

I've had sport bikes for the last 11 years and I don't even notice when I have it on. When I don't wear it for whatever weird reason, it freaks me out. My wife has a Shoei too, but she doesn't like it much. Too claustriphobic and top heavy. But like I said, I don't even notice. The key is getting a good one that is comfortable and moves air. The few times I've had to borrow a helmet and it didn't fit, it drove me insane, and made the ride a drag. Now that I have a sporty, I guess I will be a big geek while I wear my full face shoei (and my Ducati leather) hahaha.:D

·
Registered
376 Posts
#4. i use the same helmet all the time, so i picked one that sort of compromises all aspects. it's not too hot in the summer and it's got a padded lower section that zips in and helps keep me warm for colder riding.

looks dorkey, but it's my head in there and if i crash i want a real helmet on my skull that (hopefully) will help me survive or reduce the injuries i get.

i've taken my helmet off occasionally in states that allow it (illinois, south dakota, etc.) and always feel sorta nekkid without it.

bizzare stuff happens. maybe a helmet will help and maybe it won't. indian larry apparently didn't spill that hard, but he hit just right and it got him. he just wouldn't have been indian larry with a helmet on, but maybe (just maybe) he would still be alive. evil always wore one and he took some really nasty spills that prolly would have killed me but he always recovered.

sorry for the editorial, but some of that stuff might be worth reading. and then again, maybe it's not. please disregard anything you disagree with...

·
Registered
617 Posts
I already posted on the other thread about this already but something just happened to me at lunch. A bunch of guys that I hang out with (cagers), good guys, felt they needed to let me know, when we got back from lunch, that my Orange/gold metal flake '73 Spoiler helmet looks rediculous and I should get a "cooler" looking helmet like a flat black half helmet, or a little black skull cap like the OCC guys wear. I casually and respectfully told them to fuck right off. In a state where I don't even have to wear a helmet; I wear what I like to wear. I don't give a rats shit what someone thinks about it. It's actually pretty funny.

mitch

·
Registered
169 Posts
Halwade,

I have 2 Davidas at the moment.

For freeway and commuting, I wear the open-face Davida Classic Jet (with goggles). It's the most comfortable and quiet helmet I've ever worn. More quiet with a better field of vision than any full-face I've owned. Even at speed, it's great!

I also have a Davida pudding basin lid and goggles for rolling around town and general "I wish I was in the UK in the ealy 60s" posturing. It's fun and cool. But I have to wear earplugs with it...even at 40mph, wind noise is LOUD!

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
174 Posts
mcotie said:
...my Orange/gold metal flake '73 Spoiler helmet looks rediculous ....
I had the same helmet and I always felt like a bobble head with it. It was just way too big looking on me for some reason. It sure looked cool when it was hanging up though.

·
motorcycle enthusiast
2,656 Posts
mcotie said:
In a state where I don't even have to wear a helmet; I wear what I like to wear. I don't give a rats shit what someone thinks about it. It's actually pretty funny.

mitch
That's kind of how I feel , if you are going to force me to wear one , at least I can pick how stuipid I have to look :) and it WAS D.O.T. approved at one point . . . dont even get me started on the D.O.T. regs and why they change so much & often .

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Arthur fulmer Open face. I cant bring myself to wear a full face helmet because of the loss of some of my periferal vision when i wear one

·
Registered
897 Posts
The beautiful thing about Indiana is we don't have to wear a stinking helmet.Why, because as far as motorcycle rights go politicians know that we vote and that it is in their best interest to not make waves.When I travel to a state that requires me to wear a helmet,I chose a Shoei trooper style.If your asking about helmets because you'd like to buy one I like to wear a white color in the summer (the temp stays cooler than dark) and a full face in cold weather.I'd suggest you go for either Snell or DOT certified.If your head only worth $50 go to Wallmart and buy yourself a nice $50 cheap helmet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anyone know of a co making Davida Classic style helmets that are actually DOT approved? I really dig those things but every time I try one on I feel like it wouldn't provide much protection (mainly because of the way the lining is).

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I wear all sorts of helmets .
When riding Trials I like 3/4 shoe Trials helmet ( Ultra Light )
Day to day Comuting full face shoe
Cruzing the town Metal flate daytona 3/4 Because nothing is cooler then a disco ball on your head .
Last summer at the Local Brewery Bike night . Some yuppy called me Gay for my 3/4 disco helmet . The worst part about it is that his bike ( sporty made to look like a retro bagger w/ fringe ) was pink or should I say salmon and cream and he looked like he walk right out of the Gieco motorcycle ins. ad .

·
Registered
825 Posts
Do it right...get one of the Keiser Helmets with the Spike on top....that way if you crash you are sure to finish the job quickly...a spike through the brain.....

·
Registered
625 Posts
ahhh i wear the beanie i've had since 97.. its all ate up and the padding has fallin out... rarely strap it and have gotten tickets for the offence.
just bought a 3/4 open face with a confederate flag..( it goes with "dixie" my shovel)
i just dont care any more about helmets.. i have to wear one but i dont go outt my way to make the "MAN" happy... if i fight it it cost 5$ in this town..

butche

1 - 20 of 24 Posts