Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Literally just introduced my self and I'm straight into a question! A friend has stumbled across a bike here and I wanted to see if you guys can identify it?

The owner is saying its a 54 James (thats all he knows, but I have looked at every bike they built and cant find a good match, was thinking the forks might be off a bsa and I know the bars aren't original. Anyone got an insight? I am new to this and kind of interested in what this bike might be? Regardless I think it has potential.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Looks like a more modern, possibly Japanese engine. A '54 James (Famous James) probably would have had an engine made by Villiers.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yeh James . I have half one that was similarly modified sitting in the shed . Based on the James ML from WW2 and originally had a Villiers 125 in it . The Villiers were pretty gutless and for a time hard to get spares for so many were converted to Jap motors . I've converted 4 vintage 2 strokes like that due to lack of engines .

·
Registered
9 Posts
a bro picked up a Famous James similiar to yours and it had a Villiars motor, but I am sure many other singles will work, the bike should wieght a ton? One interesting point on my bros was a unique dual capped Wassell tank. The front end is keen, good luck

·
Registered
447 Posts
sorry i cant be of more help its a gazer of a bike youre gunna need quite the pip pip gollywock to get that rickedy-pop to shift on down the cobble stone clippity clops

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info, just got to check it out in the flesh and its a pretty cool little bike. It is a jap mill (4 stroke 250), but the rest is James - my friend will be stoked to know some more about it so thanks for the info!
Also Pusher - your post was fucking funny!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts