Jockey Journal Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Or take 3 degree wide glides and those special cups in the neck for some extra degrees?
I've already got wide shovel trees, but I know from history I need more rake with over 6! :) I'll work it out!

this shows what you basically should have & how they work, these are big twin Yokes,
Servicars I believe only have one cross mount hole on the bottom YOKE, where as big twins have the 2 to choose from, & by reversing the fork tube to plug which is cross drilled off centre to give another 2 choices of rake,
i believe big twins have 2 holes through the bottom yoke so you get more choices,
I'm not sure about any slot that can go from 0-40 degrees without a stop, could someone have joined the two cross holes by machining them giving you a slot ?...
pics would help a lot when you can get them,
there must be a way to put them together & be safe without welding or the factory wouldnt have made & sold them, unless someone has beenplaying with them trying to reinvent the wheel,...
all i can think of is View attachment 273505
if the bottom Yoke has been altered already for some reason, but going through many pictures of adustable Harley yokes I havent found any with a slot anywhere...
Pete,

the big twin versions are as joe posted earlier with a 'two location' slotting so you can increase trail or reduce. Mine are like that sketch less one hole. So just a single pivot, but there's not way to lock in the rake. I'm not sure how they do it.. but would you rely on a castle nut and split pin to hold it together if it came loose?

I'll do my best not to weld them.. but I've paid a small fortune for something I want to run!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
where on yours are these 'slots' you talk of ??... i cannot find any pictures, of any adjustable factory yokes with a slot for rake adjustment, they work with specific bolt holes NOT a slot,
if you cant post a picture, can you not draw what you have,
& yes if using the correct bolt, castleated nut & split pin, as designed by the factory & used safely for years, your totally safe & it works, unless you dont use factory bolts but after market bolts of unknown propertys to do the job.

you get the rake by selecting which holes you choose, there is no need or ability to 'Lock in the rake' other than by hole selection and tightning them to spec., simply by pushing the correct bolts through you chosen hole, &/or by turning the tube top caps, which if you look, are drilled off center,will give the rake choices
you are only talking a few degrees so untill fitted, you may not see much difference, but each chosen position is a different rake.
why rush it,get the correct parts and do it properly
you might even have incompatable parts that dont work together, despite looking as if they do,
or maybe they have been butchered by a previous owner by slotting a part that should not be slotted
thats bit that i cant understand,
WHERE are these 'SLOTS' you talk of ? if you look at the diagram i posted, there are NO slots ..

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
[The Peanut Gallery waits patiently for pics of Rhys's deviant yokes.]

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
PICs needed.
Pete big twins use a slot and the 2 reversable washers with the locating pins.

I really never looked at the ones for 45s. But I also thought 45s were 7/8'' stems with ball bearings like the Sportsters. If someone knows chime in.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
rhysmort The question is does your lower tree look like the picture in the above post? If it does you need these.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
rhysmort The question is does your lower tree look like the picture in the above post? If it does you need these.

Joe,

No it doesn't. It looks like the servicar, it's a single bolt holed pivot point. So rather than a slotted locking adjustable position. Mine can move freely on a pivot.

Hence the suggestion to weld it as it has no way to lock it without me manhandling it in some form. Either pinning or locking it in place.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Okay!

managed to find a pic.

The lower tree is bolted through but it's not slotted for a adjustrment, it can move freely like a hinge or pivot. So where as the big twin lower has adjustable places to be locked in, there is no locking on this of any sort.

Rhys

Attachments

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Just read your above post. So what it is, is that you don't understand that once assembled it can't move and needs no welding.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Joe, yes.

I can't see how it's possible it won't give or move. I can't see how it can stay locked in place.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
It looks to be a Big twin set that was never slotted and came drilled only for the out rake position for a side car rig.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Put it together and you will see. Once the tubes go threw the lower tree and are attached to the top tree, it is trapped in position.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
A side view picture would be nice also. As while I'm no expert on adjustables I have never seen those that you have.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Also In your picture the bottom needs to swing up, it's facing in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Joe,

No it doesn't. It looks like the servicar, it's a single bolt holed pivot point. So rather than a slotted locking adjustable position. Mine can move freely on a pivot.

Hence the suggestion to weld it as it has no way to lock it without me manhandling it in some form. Either pinning or locking it in place.
The only way it can move freely on a pivot is if you dont put the top tree on it.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Joe, Mal.

Apologies just seen these.

I'll put them together and see how we go. I guess if I lock the top caps tightly and make sure I put a lot of torque on the lower and castle/cotter it should be fine.

I'm awaiting on some longer tubes, finding 8+ over is near impossible as nobody sells them as a stock item anymore!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
did you manage to get those photos? I'm curious to see the setup

21 - 40 of 65 Posts