Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, since I'm new to the forum I'll give a little introduction about myself and my delimma. I'm a 18 year old fresh out of high school who is busting his ass at a shitty job to save up $$$ to start building his first bike.

now the drama...

I've recently bought a 2005 883 Harley Sportster engine and I can't seem to find a frame that I want to fit it. Any suggestions? I want to build a basic bobber, rigid frame with a stock 30 degree rake. Everywhere I've looked I found frames that will only fit 2003 and below engines. Anyone know why? Are the engine mounts placed differently?

If there is no chance that I can get a frame to fit my engine, what can I do to make it fit? I have a friend who works as a custom fabricator and he can tweak the frame in order to fit but I need to know what needs to be done and if it is reccommended.

I would rather get a frame that fits properly first but desperate times calls for desperate measures. I've spent a lot of hard earned money on this engine and I don't want to see it go to waste and ANY help will be greatly appreciated. I know that I'm a new to building bikes but we all have to start somewhere, right?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
The Sportster changed completely in 04, they went to a rubber mounted engine and the motor mounts are different. You may want to call some frame builders to see if they are making a frame for that motor. I know Killer Choppers up in New Hampshire are always doing new shit, you should check with them.

I would not recomend putting it in a frame thats not made for it. You are asking for problems. My friend did that by putting a flat head in a big twin frame, he is kicking himself in the ass for it the amount of money he spent on machining to make it fit safely.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Dirt, if you can find a stock frame, i would suggest sending it out to a true custom shop. i don't know of any, but i can GUARRANTEE that there are a shitload of shops in the Bay Area. before you chose one, make sure that you know the quality of work that comes out of said shop.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have an 05' sportster frame in house now. I am doing a rake and stretch job on it. I havn't gotten into it yet but will be sometime the end of the week. It is rubber mount and set-up completely differant than the older stuff. The mounting pattern from 1957 - 2003 are the same. The evo heads are taller but the mount pattern is the same. The backbone on this bitch is a wopping 2-1/8" and the downtubes I think are 1 3/8". It's fuggin heavy..........bottom line, Hopefully with this frame in house I can build a jig for the rubber mount before this gets picked up by the customer....... keep an eye on my website........... www.tanksbytigman.com

·
Banned
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks a lot to everyone that helped. turns out that UPS freight somehow lost the engine. they said if it goes missing for a week or so, I can file a claim with the insurance. so i might not be using the 05 sporty engine after all, but if it does turn up, I'll definitely heed your guys's advice. I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Banned
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TigMan said:
I have an 05' sportster frame in house now. I am doing a rake and stretch job on it. I havn't gotten into it yet but will be sometime the end of the week. It is rubber mount and set-up completely differant than the older stuff. The mounting pattern from 1957 - 2003 are the same. The evo heads are taller but the mount pattern is the same. The backbone on this bitch is a wopping 2-1/8" and the downtubes I think are 1 3/8". It's fuggin heavy..........bottom line, Hopefully with this frame in house I can build a jig for the rubber mount before this gets picked up by the customer....... keep an eye on my website........... www.tanksbytigman.com
yea that'll be awesome. you might be able to make some dough off of it too since it's tough as hell to find a frame to properly fit a newer engine. I'll keep an eye out for your website.

·
Banned
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, the engine came in. fucking sucks. i was hoping it fell off the truck and onto the interstate. i'll prolly just weld myself a frame. and thats funny too because my welding aint that good. can you die if your frame cracks into 2 cruising on the freeway? yea? good. I kinda feel like dying right now anyways. i should've done the research before i got all googly moogly on a cheap deal. the hard headed never learn. if worse comes to worse, I'll buy a stock frame and have my friend cut/weld/do magic on the mounts. he's mainly a car fabricator, but if he can chop tops and make it look like it came like that out of the factory, i can trust his work. whatever. i don't care. i hate my life right now.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Maybe some one would have said this already if they make them - but have you checked with ******* Engineering? They have that whole line of Sportster / Buell frames - kinda their specialty. It's quite possible that they only make them for earlier models, but I would give them a call - they might have something in the works if they don't have something already done. Also, I've seen Tigman's work in person and it is fantastic so I would not hesitate to have him build you a frame.

·
Registered
49 Posts
First thing to do is take a step back, relax, and try to remeber it's just a bike. I'm new here, but i'm willing to bet that nearly everyone here has screwed up something royally. I beat on a set of 84 1/2 shovel cases for half an hour before I found the bolt I forgot. You haven't done that yet. You got a good deal on a motor, thats a plus. You didn't break anything, yet:D Patience is the name of the game. I get burned out, frustrated, and pissed off to. Some days I cant look at a bike. Sit down and make a list of everything you need. The best tech tip "I think" anyone could give you right now is to get the right mindset, then go for it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.