Jockey Journal Forum banner

A lifetime project

20K views 100 replies 19 participants last post by  Dutch Dennoz 
#1 ·
So as i mentioned in my introduction i own a bike and i own some creativity and i happen to work in a machine shop.
In my humble opinion the shovelhead is a diamond in the rough with some oversized corners but thats whats customizing is all about.
I already done a lot of modifications visible and non visible but most of the time when i am done at the rear i start over again from the front.
My current project is to replace the chunky alloy primary by the pressed tin type.
When the inner primary arrived i was not impressed by the “fit from any distance” tolerances on it, it even came with a note that said not to give a shit about the chrome quality but thats not an concern at all.
because i am not all about the looks but also want modifications to last i took action and machined a bracket that ensures the fixed relations between the engine and gearbox as well as remaining the bearring support.
The inner primary only functions as a shiny cover as long as the chrome last.
Make note of the 2 countersunk tapped holes on the back, they are there in precaution for another modification.

Attachments

See less See more
#88 ·
having some conversations every here and there about why the Primo clutch would act better than the BDL it got me thinking , i noticed the only difference is the round clutch dogs BDL uses , these don't have enough contact surface and will wear fast so clutch release is poor after low milage.
the back of my head created a somewhat easy modification that my hands will have to execute some day.
if you have a steel inner hub the complete set up is worth converting this way in my believe, yet if you have an Alu hub ........
first things first so for now i a have to get the bike from the paddock stand as soon as possible.

Attachments

#89 ·
I finally fired her up recently, it took a few evenings way past bed time.
A simple oil pump rebuild was a real struggle because the Allen keys where quite stuck in the key ways and needed some force to come out so that ended in ordering a new shaft as well.
Waiting for parts was a good time to regain my spirit and after some days it arrived I armed myself with some blind faith and Heineken to put it Al back together as a functioning whole.

With fresh oil an gas I braced myself for the first start after 4 years but the battery didn't feel for it even after 3 days of charging.
I ordered a new one so I had to stay putt again for a few days.

Eventually the moment arrived, after 2 kicks It was alive. ( wet eyes, wet pants)

Evening fell but I could not resist to take it for a spin around the block, the exhaust is ugly loud, the tail light was still out of order, my license plate was folded between the fender and Tyre due to a deep recoil , the clutch was not disengaging that correct and I had to switch to reserve on de petcock so I had to be a bit restless on the throttle....

Just that very moment a police motorcycle pulled up at my rear, I was already practicing my puppy eyes whilst counting the fines.
When I took the turn to my street he friendly waved me goodbye and proceeded to wherever.

What a lovely day.

Cause I drove it bareboned on the framepipes the seat is the next priority.
After that there is still a lot detailing left but she is a runner again.

#90 ·
What sort of insane good fortune had just happened in that cop's life, do you suppose? ... Or maybe (longshot) he noticed you were sitting on the bare frame and thought "This guy is punishing himself already, he doesn't need help from me."

Happy to hear your success story. I didn't know you/your bike were/was down for a whole four years. Must say you've been remarkably good-natured for a bikeless biker.

#91 ·
The succes story started 4 years ago with just changing the oilbag for something else, some other parts followed soon, then a kid happened with a major home make over prior to that.. I've had a sour smile for a while, looking forward again now!

#92 ·
Some struggle i had prior to hitting the road again a few months ago.
I wanted to clean up the oil lines a bit so i machined an oil pump cover with bottom connections , swapping that cover should be a in between job .
It turned out it had plastic gaskets, my replacement kit was black paper so i pulled my sleeves and took the chance to replace it all with keeping the cone etc in place.
Somehow the keys where really stuck in the shaft so i had to go a bit out of boundaries to get a hold on them ( at this point i am still busy on the feed section), bynow the shaft was gone beyond usability.
So i pulled my sleeves even further because the tappets and cone had to be removed as well. The inside key was even more an hassle because it was as stuck but in a confined space ofcourse.
It took me a whole evening and a mood to get it out .
I overhauled the engine some 20 years ago but i don’t recall the thight fit on the keyways.
Anyway the new shaft is how it should be.
So with some fresh energy i putted it all back together .
The new cover promised a much cleaner look but somehow in my enthousiasme i never took note of the framepipe below the engine .
Lucky me the frame clears at about 2 mm to the elbow connections so the 1 week replacement job is a week to remeber.

Attachments

#94 ·
It is just an idea….in a long chain of discovery’s.
I was overthinking to change to rabbit ears and to my opinion the bars need to be clean for that.
I could not find a suitable spot for a remote cilinder to my satisfaction so something popped up and i got it on paper , parts on paper are not something to bite so i do some fabricating every now and then in between the day job.
Wood Flooring Picture frame Art Font

It is still a rough finish cause a lot of parts are still in concept .
A modified brembo pump is hidden inside 1 riser, the other riser is the reservoir.
Operating it will be through the rod end that connects to the top tree.
The male/female joints between the lower and top bar section are reamed after welding for a steady fit.
Wood Gun accessory Bullet Auto part Ammunition
Writing implement Office supplies Wood Pen Ball pen
Fluid Liquid Safety glove Wood Tableware

And yeah , the reservoir connection will be straight in the end.

the puzzle is not done yet, but i will get there.
Meanwhile i am keeping the bike road worthy .(lessons learned)

#97 ·
I had a bmw r100rs like 1981
Had remote cylinder under tank on top frame tube (maybe some inspiration there?)
Thanks for the suggestion, that spot had a review already but the tank does not have much room . If the bars idea wont work i think i just mount my actual cilinder from the bars to the stressbar under the tank……but i have to attempt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.