Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we aren't restorers here, but I think you guys are more likely to understand what I want to do than actual restorers.

1) Where do you get tin for old Harleys?

New, old, original, reproduction. As long as it looks like the real thing. I have this idea for an "unbobber" based on a modern V-twin engine with a look inspired by all the Ironhead bobbers I've seen lately. A "resto rod" bike that looks as close as possible to a small production bike circa 1935 but is mechanically modern. But finding original Harley RL stuff seems like it will prove extremely difficult without some kind of minor miracle, heck I was lucky to find the one picture I did. There is slightly more space devoted to VL's, but not much.

2) Is there a resource on the net for '30s and '40s bikes?

Things are kind of hit-and-miss on Google. If there is a site devoted to restoring the bikes of this period where I can maybe see some detailed pics and such. I especially want to see closeups of the gas tank art of the 1930 to 1939 period.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sporticus, I love VL Heaven, though it doesn't look like they've updated in quite a while. Any recommendation on books to check out too? There's nothing I like better than having a good hardcopy to refer to when I don't feel like staring into a computer screen.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Bigcheese5300 said:
Any recommendation on books to check out too?
I'm sure there are countless others, but I have Harley Davidson Flatheads by Jerry Hatfield in front of me right now (published by MBI Publishing Company in 1999). It covers 1919 "W" models all the way through to the K and KR models. Buying it was the first symptom of my 45 obsession. It has lots of great photos. There is a 1962 KRTT (roadracer) on page 123 that keeps me awake at night.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts