Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the Pate Swap Meet over the weekend and saw a bike I really loved. It said it was a 1953 Famous James. It was pretty rough but looked complete. They were asking $1000. Never heard of one. It had a single cylinder with the carb hanging off the back side of the cylinder under the seat. It had a suicude shifter on the right side of the tank. Over all it just had a really great look about it. Anyone know the history of these?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yes I have seen one they had a single cly Villers motor on them.A friend of mine who posts on here once in awhile still owns it.Its a cool little machine not sure how hard parts would be to find for it though.

Shoe

·
Registered
936 Posts
There was a guy at a Westminster MD bike show that was restoring them. The one he had at the show was a 1949, that has been run since the day it was bought. And a survivor, never retored. Resilient little things.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The one I saw had much beefier wheels and sat much lower. I am new to bikes so I have a lot to learn, but I have a soft spot for the Brit bikes. I really don't know what else to compare the look too except perhaps Fonzi's bike. :rolleyes:

No, didn't buy it. Maybe one day when I am ready to take on a bike project, I'll run across another one.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Frank said:
The one I saw had much beefier wheels and sat much lower. I am new to bikes so I have a lot to learn, but I have a soft spot for the Brit bikes. I really don't know what else to compare the look too except perhaps Fonzi's bike. :rolleyes:

No, didn't buy it. Maybe one day when I am ready to take on a bike project, I'll run across another one.
That would be an older model James, probably. They actually stuck around a lot longer than most people think.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hey Frank,

I was there on Friday, and I saw the bike you were talking about. It looked pretty rough for $1000. There was another one, semi-restored, painted, powdercoated wheels, fresh looking motor, etc for $2000. The guy was in DFW area with a 214 number.

Here's the famous James I had about 10 years ago:

·
Registered
936 Posts
JEB said:
Hey Frank,

I was there on Friday, and I saw the bike you were talking about. It looked pretty rough for $1000. There was another one, semi-restored, painted, powdercoated wheels, fresh looking motor, etc for $2000. The guy was in DFW area with a 214 number.

Here's the famous James I had about 10 years ago:
Why do you look like me? Minus the acid wash shorts of course.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Damn Scratch, you look like my long lost brother. Who knew you were such a handsome fellow?

You'll have to forgive the acid wash and the sandals, that pic is 10 years old. Sad story about that James, my boss (at the time) had it in her garage, and she wanted me to restore it for her father. He brought it back from WWII, rode it for a while, and it ended up in the back of their garage, where it stayed until 1995. She knew that I liked old bikes, so she asked me to give her a quote on restoring it.

I took it home, tore it apart and cleaned up the motor. In the meantime I found a better job and quit, so all the parts went back in boxes and back to her garage, and I never saw that bike again. I need to find that lady and see if she wants to sell the bike. It was a great looking little single with a girder front end and a sprung saddle and a shift gate on the tank.

ol_scratch said:
Here I am.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts