Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here know anything about them? Anyone own one?

They are pretty cheap and seem real fun, but......

Any REAL experiences with these? (opinions are welcome too, but I really want consumer reports)

he is buying the 810cc 2wd with 46 hp.

he is a little nervous about buying it, even though he is going for the best one he could find.

here is a picture, I got a bunch more if anyone wants me to post them for some reason.

he is spending 5 grand on it.

I just think it seems fun to tear around on, just tear around slowly

Attachments

·
Registered
967 Posts
It's like "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade!" I think it's cool looking, but I recall hearing the quality was a little questionable. Could be wrong though.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
TurboRoadster said:
looks like a ural
I hope it works out well. They are dirt cheap and I've never met anyone who actually had to live with one. Seems like a cheap way to take my wife and dog out for a ride at the same time. They look like Urals because that's essentially what they are. The Russians copied BMW and got the Ural, the Dnepr, and a few other variants. Being good Communist buddies, the Russians gave/sold the design to the Chinese, who are still making them - called Chang Jiang (sp?).

·
Registered
62 Posts
I owned a ural/dpner! they look bad ass in your garage......and thats it!!!!!!
dont waste a dime. the electrical is a nightmare!
i had mine for about 4 months and it was in the shop for 3 months. not becouse of labor. it is hard to get parts for. weeks of waiting for stuff to come from russia.

DONT DO IT!!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
My Brother had one.

It was a piece of garbage...

He traveled overseas for a while and asked me to start it once a week, so there would be at least some chance of it working when he got back.

I gave up after the 2nd week.

Apearently there is only one bike thats worse than a Ural/Dneper ( also Russian ), and the guy he ended up selling it too had one of those.

So for him it was a step up...

·
Registered
936 Posts
Look on the net for the necessary modifications. They are a good bike provided you do a few primary changes. Modify the carbs, and redo some electrical. Other than that they are tanks. A local guy sells Urals, and every one he gets he does the modifications and the owners have no complaints.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I think the Enfields have a sidehack option too. I know a couple people with cafe'd Enfields that don't have anymore problems then the old triumph and bsa bikes. Parts are easier to get too, since India is pretty good at exporting.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yeah but Ural/Dnieper etc have PTO drives and driven sidecare wheel.....very cool.

If i remeber rightly Triumph pistons fit the pins, and datsun 180B clutch plates fit.......personal opinion..id ride one.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As far as mods go, all I can find is larger oil pans.

The 2 wheel drive part is what is winning me over.

I guess we will see when it gets here......

thanks for all the responses so far.

I will give you guys a full report once we played with it for a while

its getting shipped from Ohio, so about a week I guess

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
My buddy has 3 or 4 of those..he's got the most incredible storys after a trip on those "things"... He even admits it's not even worth what they cost..(the kickstart crank gear isn't even hardened for example.., on his models at least..)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I own two Russian bikes. Mine are flatheads, and I ride the solo one to 40 miles to work and back nearly everyday.

Agggh, Not a Yuri bike! If its not a Dneprworld bike, I bet it still coming from Cleavland? Is it too late to get your money back?

First off all KMZ (Dnepr) is not producing bikes anymore. These are some kind of leftover parts from when the factory closed down in the 90's (most appear to be reject parts too). Dnepr never made a 810cc bike. That are some abortion that uses Lada pistons. Llyod at Ramco http://www.dnepr.ru/index2.html is the only guy in the states that builds and sells EPA and DOT approved Dneprs. His bikes are the best you can get in the states, not to mention they are titled as a Dnepr and not some home built bike. Urals are not made by Dnepr. Dneprs were produced in Kiev,Ukraine (KMZ, Dnepr or Dnipro is the name of the river that runs through Kiev) for the military starting in the late 50's. Urals were civilian bikes made in Iribit, Russia (IMZ, Urals were made in Iribit which is in the Ural Mountains). I hate to burst your friends bubble, but he paid a premium price for basically the lowest quality Dnepr you can buy. Not to mention you can't get engine parts for the 810cc.

Tell him to visit www.russianiron.com or the Dneprheads yahoo group. For the help he is going to need and to locate good parts suppliers.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.