Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys need a hand problem solving an electrical issue on a 87 softie. Battery had gone completely flat now charged. Turn ignition on and it keeps tripping out before even hitting the starter bottom - you can hear it click. No obvious loose wires etc?? What should I look at next? Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is it one with the wiring all flattened out between the seat, frame and oil tank? I worked in a dealership those years and we had tons of those issues with Softails. By "88" they had rerouted the wires. Trace every thing from the breaker that's tripping, it's tedious, but stay cool and you'll find it.

Jerry
Rhode Island

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems to be the circuit breaker connected to the top left yellow wire terminal. Any idea where it goes to as its heading into the abyss :) Hoping not to have to rip the tanks off but guess I will. Thanks for the input to date Jerry and Dragstews

G

·
Unhook that wire and see what happens with the C/B ...
If it still trips the breaker it's on the back side....It it doesn't trip it's on down the road....

A service manual would show the color codes for tracing the circuit....

Whenever I build from scratch and need a harness, always use a kit from http://www.wire-plus.com/

Their kits has an LED light on each circuit....If for some reason a circuit goes open or to ground the color will change from green to red showing a problem with that circuit....Takes a little of the hunt out of tracing down....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Excellent input, thanks! Will try the CB in that manner. Thinking this will be the only softie I will own as bought it to flip so haven't bought a service manual but if I cant solve it tomorrow will order one in. Thanks again Dragstews.

G

·
kinda looks like a copper penny...

Guess not many Fellow's remember the Old screw-in fuses ....

Been many of a house burnt down when a penny was stuck in there...

That reminds me of a Guy that had the same problem you have going on...
He hunted a short on his bike for days...
Kinda got to the point of saying "Screw It" and wired around the C/B with a 10g wire...

He found his short....after it melted down the wiring all the way to where it was going to ground....:eek:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
28 Posts
Those ignition switches will give you fits but check the wires near it. Usually find a chafed wire grounding out. The last one I had in that tripped the breaker immediately wound up being the rear brake switch power wire loose and grounded. Peace

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, instead of working on the FXST I spent the day riding the 85 now it has a faulty starter switch, no turn signals nor brake lights working. Looks like a week of electrical work. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.