Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up an un molested 83 flh with stock electronic ignition system.I put an SS super e carb on which is brand new with 28 intermediate and 70 main jet.Exhaust is 28 inch straight cut straight pipes.Motor is in time,valves adjusted properly.Motor drags just a bit on start up.Wiring is good and battery fairly new.Fuel system is clean.Plugs and wires are new and plugs look good.Problem i am having is at cruise speeds such as 10 mph 20 mph and so on motor sputters and seems to have a miss.Motor doesnt idle quite right.No leak at carb or intake.It never dies out.If i give it just a hair more throttle its gone.Motor runs fine under a load and runs strong as long as i dont have throttle in that one particular spot.This is the newest bike i have ever owned and am unfamiliar with this style stock ignition.It has the pick up and seperate box for ignition.No advance weights.In my other shovels i used the crane system.The last one i purchased was around 20 years ago.I dont think they make this one anymore.Everything seems to be in order mechanically.After some digging on the internet it appears this stock system can go bad and not go out completely.I have been looking at the daytona twin tech system but dont want to just throw money at a problem im not positive will be the cure.Dont have any way of testing anything these days and have found every shop around where i live now to basically be unreliable.All i can think of is ignition box not reading things correctly.Any advice and input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Motor also sputters through pipes when i let off throttle.It reminds me overall of an old car i drive that had a gm hei distributor with advance weights hanging up.This is why i am leaning toward an ignition problem.

·
Registered
497 Posts
those ign on stockers always idled funny to me, they usually got pitched and replaced with a points convertion. you may have some other adjustments to make but me i would 86 that ign. a point kit is around 40.00 you could run one to get thing sorted then go for a dyna later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.