Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to install a helicoil in the rear cylinder exhaust port at the head as it is stripped out.
So I am trying to remove the exhaust system and getting frustrated as the parts do want to come apart and there are clamp screws and such that are inaccessible.
Anyways, I am thinking about just cutting the exhaust off and replacing it with a 2 into 1 single exhaust rather than having the cross over and mufflers on both sides.
Is there any side effect to a 2 into 1 exhaust with a single muffler rather than the dorky dual exhaust that all these FLH's have??

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
272 Posts
about 30lb weight saving

done this on a evo glide i have, rather than buy a new exhaust, cut the lhs pipe pipe joint off the rear header and weld a plate over the resultant hole, the chrome heat shield covers virtually hide this and the resultant 2 into 1 works just fine

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
If you are having problems taking off a exhaust system, do you think you can handle installing a helicoil? A little patience, some PB Blaster and a little effort, that exhaust should come off. Even if you don't want to reuse it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I do lack patience at times, and then go typing on here without giving it proper attention!

I got it off once I removed the seat and attacked it from above.

It's not skill I lack, just patience - but working on bikes is a great exercise in learning patience and believe it or not, I have improved over the years!

Thanks for the input guys.

Doug

·
Registered
20 Posts
do your self a favor, & put a stud in that exhaust, so in future you loosen a nut & remove pipe that way, it helps lengthen life of heads, as the 1 bolt in aluminum wasnt the brightest idea. I have had many heads welded up in the past with wallowed out holes.

·
Registered
974 Posts
theres a kit that has drill,tap,stud,helicoil and alignment/template ,god knows what its called but some one cashed in on the shovel head exhaust bolt saga.
its a bung that goes up the guts and holds an alignment plate, once finished you thread in the allen key stud.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great tip on the permanent stud - thanks.

Both V-Twin and Custom Chrome have the stud/gasket kits but they do not include the drill/tap/helocoil but I already have that kit so I'm all set.

Doug

·
Registered
180 Posts
I bought them from grainger they have all sizes and the instllation tool's but I would really rethink about putting one in the head there is not a lot of material around the exhaust port if you do be real careful

1 - 9 of 9 Posts