Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got on here couple yrs or so ago.
Not yet in any sort of "proper income bracket"; though after I get da sikl back in action, I should be able to earn a way better consistent living; and THEN afford a Baker 5~in~a 4.
Until then, got a 26tooth tranny sprocket (~i realize I'll likely have to carefully modify the case for clearance)...
& I forget what wheel sprocket I've got.
I think when I was here B4, I was trying to sell my old Super Max clutch basket & belt (~13.8 mm x 70t clutch pulley & 1 1/2" Super Max {~Kevlar} belt)...
Still got it.
Also was l馃憖kin to find an old 18" Magnesium spoke wheel (~i'm forgetting, at this moment, whether it was American Racing that the gassers used way back when, & another brand...)...
And nowadays, I guess the new Radir version would be sensible... Yet I recall, last time I was searching (~pretty sure it was here)... that I learned that Performance Machine made the wheel also, in the '70's.
This is a new phone that I've yet to get any of my pictures into (~sikl, etc).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Hoges, for the heads up regarding the Jim's Big axle lifters.
I've never heard of that (~though there's surely plenty that I have not heard)
So far so good. The man who built my 93 has quite a notorious reputation for bullet~proof motors.
Since he built it for me for longevity, {~+ I had NOT realized that I COULD HAVE gotten Delkron cases for FAR LESS than I'd previously understood the retail price} and he cautioned me that he himself had seen many early '80's Shuvel cases prone for L.h. pinion bearing race coming loose; he strongly discouraged me from EVER taking it to a dragstrip.
I've got over 20K miles on the motor in with no mechanical issues whatsoever.
2 different occasions I even UNintentionally did sky~high, "12 o'clock" wheelies, that I had to totally let OFF the throttle, or I'd have been on my back w/sikl on top of me.
The crank/wheels are balanced between 2~3 10ths of a 10,000th of an inch from 100%... once, in fall of '11, after changing oil n filter with motor warmed up, it occurred to me to try HAND~crankin the kickstart... I did it VERY carefully, and yet, deliberately (~as properly as IMproper could be)... and it just fired right up, no problem.
Another friend of mine
(~whom my Super Max primary had been on his 88" Pan~chop) had problems with the smaller axle Jim's lifters, and the big axle was the solution for him.
(~and he did 2nd gear wheelies ALL the time)

Registered
RHS 80 cu pinion race come loose. What year did this occur as news to me. I have heard the roller can walk on some TC motors from factory that are not retained . Cost cutting by HD. Jims stopped making big axle because of pin failure so keep an ear out for tapping and pushrods needing adjustment. Im talking Solids. Here is my TC with Retainer

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LEFT HAND SIDE, Hoges.
According to the good Dr who built my 93" 1980 Shuvel, ...
HE has seen many Shuvel motors
{~if I remember correctly, it was the early '80's, ie~last H.D.Shuvel years of mfr} LEFT HAND CASE (~Primary/kickstand side) bearing race for the crankpin, come LOOSE from the case.

Yes, the early twin-cams (~i really hardly paid much attention or at least had any specific knowledgeable memory retention other than '99-2K, etc... as I, #1, rarely ever had any desire for a twin~cam HD, let alone an evo, and #2, I haven't worked in any mosikl shops in 2 decades
(~other than being there at my motor builder's machine shop as an apprentice {~when I didn't have to be at a wage~earnin job} on occasions of the 1/2 year my own Shuvel motor was gone through and rebuilt/stroked {~if ONLY I'd have known that the good Dr could've got me Delkron cases for a bit LESS than $1K, when last I knew, they were like $3500 retail yrs B4 } to I'll have to ask him about which you years on the Shuvel L.H. case race loosening.

Registered
Left side case races coming loose was a problem that started happening, IIRC, around '89. The MOCO simplified the design of the steel race insert that was cast into the aluminum case. This was allegedly to increase quality, but was actually to decrease the reject rate that was relatively high on the older designs because the aluminum pour didn't always completely fill the mold around the older, more complex steel instert. (Lower reject rate equals more profit.) The simplified insert lacked the finger like details that extended out into the casting and locked it in place. These simple inserts would sometimes work loose over time. Their eventual fix was to eliminate the cast in feature completely, and go to an insert pressed into the case after casting. The only Shovelhead or prior cases that I have ever heard of having loose inserts were the result of EXTREME abuse.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well WhizzbangK.C., I know my motor's builder has to a my SOLID reputation of building, rebuilding, repairing & stroking motors and properly rakin in choppin frames, etc for at least 4 decades, and he wouldn't tell me that if it wasn't so.
(~i have known him personally since fall of '98).
I can merely speculate that possibly aLOT of the motors
(~his words, "HAMMERED") he's dealt with, in PHX-Mesa metro, may or may not have been well~abused, maybe 1%'rs, ratracers, etc... & I know when we tore~apart my old '73 ironhead motor
(~from my "Sporty~Glide" chop); I am NOT at all bragging when I confess to that he testified that MY motor was thee MOST absolutely totally slap~wore-out ironheads he had EVER seen.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so we are talking sprocket shaft! So the Timken races spin in case?
YES, Hoge.
Timken races come loose on Shovel L.H. case half.
AGAIN, ... I am NOT a motor builder and do NOT claim to be.
A local fellar here in nm, when the subject was in discussion between him & I, said he'd never had that issue either, and he's been building em here in nm since '70's also.
whenever I get to talk to the good Dr,maybe tomorrow on my lunch break possibly, I WILL ask about specific years and whatever details he'll pass on about it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts