Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, let me start off by saying I'm sure somewhere in the thousands of posts there is one similar to this, but searching for "doesn't start" "won't start" "just clicks" etc etc, either gives me no results or hundreds to sort through. If you know of a thread similar just link me there.

I have a '79 Ironhead that had absolutely no problems starting until last week. I started it, rode it to work, then when I went to start it after work it just clicked at the solenoid. I push started it and had no problems. Put it on a tender for a few days and went to try again (battery is 1 month old genuine HD battery). Still just a click.

Disconnected the battery, checked all wires from the battery to the solenoid, to the starter, checked the fuses, replaced the solenoid (had a brand new one just sitting around). Still just clicks.

Will push start just fine, but I really don't want to have to always be on a hill. So any thoughts?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Try jumping it at the starter relay, if it starts replace it. The tach can sometimes short out too. Unhook it and see if it makes a differance.
WUZFUZ

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No tach, so that won't be the problem. By starter relay you mean just skip the solenoid all together and go straight battery to starter? I know that sounds dumb, but this is 100% not stock and I'm pretty sure that would be the only way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I jumped from the battery straight to the starter and it cranks over so the starter isn't seized.

The Solenoid should ground through the case right? I think I'm even more stumped now!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Run a ohms test, from the ground wire to the frame, and then from the ground wire, to the starter body. If it does not ohm out to almost 0, then that could be the problem too. It could be grounded enough to charge and run, but not grounded good enough to pull the starter. Make sure the ground on the relay is good too. Some ground through the body, but paint has a way of stopping the ground. If you have a load tester for the battery, test the battery, and then, with a volt meter attached to the battery, hit the starter button, and see what the meter says(lowest reading). If it goes below 10 volts, it has a bad ground, or some positive connection. If it stays close to battery strength, then the relay or starter button could be bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So mine doesn't have the starter relay you guys are eluding to. It has a small plastic on that is stashed away (took me forever searching for it). When I turn on the ignition I get power to the "30" plug, and when I hit the starter button I get get power to the "85" plug, but it doesn't seem to want to complete the circuit.

Can anyone answer this, is the "86" plug supposed to go to ground? Mine runs off to somewhere I can't trace and if it just needs to be grounded I can do that locally to test it.

If you're not sure what I'm talking about let me know and I can post a pic, but basically this is what it is.

http://www.bkrider.com/bkrider/SKUSearch.asp?px=PG&scriteria=C01060543

·
Registered
552 Posts
So mine doesn't have the starter relay you guys are eluding to. It has a small plastic on that is stashed away (took me forever searching for it). When I turn on the ignition I get power to the "30" plug, and when I hit the starter button I get get power to the "85" plug, but it doesn't seem to want to complete the circuit.

Can anyone answer this, is the "86" plug supposed to go to ground? Mine runs off to somewhere I can't trace and if it just needs to be grounded I can do that locally to test it.

If you're not sure what I'm talking about let me know and I can post a pic, but basically this is what it is.

http://www.bkrider.com/bkrider/SKUSearch.asp?px=PG&scriteria=C01060543
You should have 4 wires on that relay: 87 is the terminal for the solenoid trigger.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
take a screwdriver plastic end and "tap" the solinoid if it thunks through and starts cranking over ride to the store and buy a new one

1 - 10 of 10 Posts