Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little help please....

im a bit puzzled with the engine on my recently bought Ironhead...
it was sold to me as 1979, but been looking at loads of pictures on the forum and cant seem to find an engine that matches the one I have?

Do I have the case of something else? something definately doesnt look right...

here's the engine

and here's what's puzzling me...

on this pic, just next to the sprocket.. what's that threaded stud with a slot for?
and on the front cover, what's the big hole for? I thought it would be for the peg... but... if you look on the next picture....

..... the rear cover I have already has the footpeg mounted there? Do I have a rear cover off a different model?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Check your engine VIN... If it ends by H9, it is a 79...

Timing cover big hole is for previous incarnations of right hand side gear shifter. Normally not machined on post 77 engines.

Sprocket cover is deffo not 79, THE basturd year when the master cylinder is mounted high up...

Patrick

·
Registered
800 Posts
the last 2 digits of your serial number are H9, so it is a 79. the cam cover is for an earlier right side shift sportster.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks!
trying to compare pictures was driving me nuts!

The engine VIN does end up in 79, so its a 79 engine as you guys say.

So let's see if I got all this right

Engine is definately 79
Timing cover is from some other year
Sprocket cover is from some other year

hahaha.. ho well! I intend to trim down the timing cover, so that hole is going to disappear
also intend to fabricate my own sprocket cover....

but this was just driving me nuts! thanks for clarifying :)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and any idea what the threaded bolt with a slot is for? its kind at 4o'clock from the sprocket..?
have gone back and forwards in my Clymer manual and cant find it

·
Registered
769 Posts
Should normally be longer, sticks through the Basturd "79 only" sprocket cover, 1/2" nut on the outside to hold the Basturd "79 only" foot rest. Cut off to suit the later cover you have now.

Correction from my post above, timing cover is indeed Basturd "79 only", big hole on it was used for the Basturd "79 only" brake pedal axle

Patrick

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hahaha Patrick!!

looks like I have a Basturd of a bike!! lol
I did find, in some pics, exactly what you mention... the footpeg is on the sprocket cover and the brake pedal mechanism is on the timing cover....

bit of a weird setup!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts