Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...

quick one, my 1979 ironhead doesnt have a kick start, but I was thinking of adding one.

I've read it here, when searching, that its not possible on the 1980 due to the fact the crankcase is not drilled, or it is possible, but a lot of work involved.

Does anyone know if its possible to buy a kit to convert the 1979 to kickstart? or even have both, kick and electric?

is there much involved?

If there is a kit and I go down that route, then I'll post a full how-to here, surely will be helpful to someone….

thanks!
JP

·
Registered
212 Posts
All the parts are available through V Twin and Drag Specialties. V Twin had a kit, they probably still do. Yes you can have kick and electric on a 79. Finding the correct sprocket cover can be fun but they are out there... I found mine at an old HD dealer still in the original box.

Buy a manual or a parts book. They both have good break downs of the whole assy.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the Clymer and Haynes manual for the 79, but wasnt sure if the kits were readly available or if its a big job to do it..

the sprocket cover I can always machine it out of steel I guess....

·
Registered
272 Posts
79 sprocket covers turn up on flea bay all the time

I picked up a nos one a while back for £15

some have the cast boss on them for the kicker but not hole / bush, but this should be easy for any competent machinist to machine

making a cover up from scratch is going to be a whole lot of fun and definitely a far harder way of achieving a good end result

·
Registered
884 Posts
Nope....3A...XLH
I have heard of 4A '79's but yet to See one. Hell I have Yet to see a 4A '78!! Prolly just gotta be Patient.
RP

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.