Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
78 tiger new rebuild first ride around the block is a little hard to shift, so i`m an idiot and never filled the trans. my manuel said 500 cc of 90 weight
and try again. Now the clutch is slow to engage and also slow to shift.
Hit the search on here and now i`m more confused than before . weight,30 weight,AFT,mixtures of oil,shared engine oil,hair cream so what might be right ?
or do i have another problem
thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
If the engine is stock, it breathes into the primary case, so you may want to run the same oil in the primary that's in the engine. Just make sure it's wet clutch compatible. As for the transmission, I wouldn't use GL5 gear oil. That's for hypoid tooth form gears and contains extreme pressure sulphurized additives that can attack bronze parts in the transmission. There are lubricants made specifically for manual transmissions, or you can use 30wt engine oil. Other opinions may vary, but these guide lines have worked for me.

Bob

·
Registered
588 Posts
I run 20/50 which is what I run in the motor too. I have also heard I could use ATF. SOMEONE TOLD ME that post 68 can run ATF. Sorry I don't remember who said that on here. Yours might be different being a 78. Do you have a manual ? If not find one and see what the factory recommends.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I run 20/50 which is what I run in the motor too. I have also heard I could use ATF. SOMEONE TOLD ME that post 68 can run ATF. Sorry I don't remember who said that on here. Yours might be different being a 78. Do you have a manual ? If not find one and see what the factory recommends.
Plus one on the 20W/50. That's what it says in the manual, it lists about 7 (most you cant get anymore) but it states "Engine and Primary Chaincase".

If you want to start running something different to the engine oil you should do some research into sealing off the primary from the engine oil & changing the breather setup. (I know MAP Cycle make a kit).

I like Castrol Classic or Kendall, anything without a bunch of additives and friction modifiers that mess up your clutch plates

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.