Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am wanting to change from a rear brake cable to a brake rod on my 78 Sporty but it seems as though no one makes a brake rod for a 78. Whats the easiest way to make one for it or does anyone else know of anyone that makes them for my application? Does anyone have any pictures of their 78 with a rod if so? I should also tell you it has a Hammer In Hand Straight back bolt on hardtail it stretches the bike around 5 inches

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
You will have to get a little more creative than just buying a rod and bending it a little. First, if you "bend" it a little, and don't heat treat it, to hold the bend, the bends will eventually straighten out, not to mention, the bend would have to be extreme to say the least, if you are running right side brake pedal. The offset, between the drum and the pedal, will be a bitch to make in one piece. You may be able to make a pivot point, somewhere, to use as a mechanical offset, and then, unless you shave the cable anchor off of the brake cover, or reramp the brake pivot cam and run the lever in the down position, you will never get the rod to work. Photos of your actual setup would be necessary to give you a complete accurate fix.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.