Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the bike has a CV carb on it which i know nothing about because the guy who put the bike together is deceased.

i changed pipes to drag pipes and i haven't baffled them yet.

it takes about 8 squirts on the accelerator pump to get it started initially with my hand over the mouth of the carb like a choke and i can keep it running with the throttle until i can get to the choke. it'll run smooth then die. prime it again and pull the choke, starts right back up and runs for a few seconds but dies. if i try to feather the throttle it chokes and dies. a couple of times while trying to start it, it seemed like it kicked back through the carburetor. not a big ol back fire, just a 'pffft'. feels like its running out of fuel? maybe i just need to hone in on the starting procedure?

if it was a chevy with a 4 barrel carburetor i'd know where to look, just not sure on this thing. don't know anything about the CV or how big twin engines behave.

any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you checked for intake leaks?
not yet.
i was going to buy a kit and pull it off just to make sure there was no gunk in it, so i guess that would be a good time to check for leaks.

thanks.

it ran fine before pipes, but its been sitting for about 4 months. i have NO idea about jets or settings. thats the other reason i was gonna pull it off. according to the old plugs, it was set up a bit rich.
and thx for the link to the CV info. been looking for that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
not yet.
i was going to buy a kit and pull it off just to make sure there was no gunk in it, so i guess that would be a good time to check for leaks.

thanks.

it ran fine before pipes, but its been sitting for about 4 months. i have NO idea about jets or settings. thats the other reason i was gonna pull it off. according to the old plugs, it was set up a bit rich.
and thx for the link to the CV info. been looking for that.
If the bike set for 4 months without gas treatment I would agree with the jet being clogged. Take it apart, clean everything, note the jetting and put back together. Check the intake bands/orings while you have it down. A lot of guys with shovels run a 50 low speed jet and a 190 main. That is what I run

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like that was it. Pulled the carb apart and cleaned everything real good. Put it back together and put fresh gas in it. It fired at the first hit, idled good on and off choke. Thanks guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts