Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize now that the stock airbox has to go.. I live on a sandy road and I know that unless I use some after market clamp on air cleaners the engine will suck in sand.. stock set up has a lot to be desired.. plastic warped.. a bitch getting the filters in and then, how do you know they are sealing out sand?? Wondering what brand of filters to use and also is there anyway to make the battery area look good without the side covers? Maybe there is a way to keep the airbox and still use clamp on filters?? Pictures of this setup would be appreciated. :)

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Check out the K&N motorcycle filters on their site.

Then you can mount the fiberglass covers that resemble the 1970 and earlier oil tank and tool box lid. You can find those at Glass from the Past, British Cycle Supply and M.A.P. to name a few.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just ordered the covers from the link.. ebay had some cheaper ones, but none had the extra curved portion that would keep it stable on the frame..

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also I assume that my '76 T140 doesn't need the offset air cleaners since the carbs are angled, right??

·
Registered
162 Posts
Also I assume that my '76 T140 doesn't need the offset air cleaners since the carbs are angled, right??
If you're planning to run a large diameter air cleaner, such as the late 60's factory Triumph "pancake" filter, they'll need to be offset. Otherwise the filter won't clear the petcocks.

Eric

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm using K&N's on my 77 with no issues so far. The bike came with them. I'm liking the side covers.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you're planning to run a large diameter air cleaner, such as the late 60's factory Triumph "pancake" filter, they'll need to be offset. Otherwise the filter won't clear the petcocks.

Eric
Thanks

I'm using K&N's on my 77 with no issues so far. The bike came with them. I'm liking the side covers.
Do you have a picture of your bike and the K&N's ? I take it they are offset??

All I could find were the cheapo air cleaners. Anyone have a part number for the K&N's.. Went to their web side and entered the year ect and it stated that they don't exist.. :confused:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Order "universal" K&N type by carb external bore opening diameter,filter diameter and length.Most use a filter with a diameter and length of about 3 inches.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
If nobody chimes in before I get home from work, I'll see if I can find a part number for you. But, the flat pancake style that come with the Mikuni kits and such is the ones you want. I have one or two. At the very least I'll measure one for you. Try M.A.P. or some of the others for those filters though.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If nobody chimes in before I get home from work, I'll see if I can find a part number for you. But, the flat pancake style that come with the Mikuni kits and such is the ones you want. I have one or two. At the very least I'll measure one for you. Try M.A.P. or some of the others for those filters though.
Hopefully these are the ones I need.. Just bought 2 on ebay 28.00 each with free shipping.. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know this is an old thread, but figured it would be decent of me to show what I ended up with. I just finished the bike after about 5 years.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but figured it would be decent of me to show what I ended up with. I just finished the bike after about 5 years.

That looks really sharp! I was toying with doing the same thing to my T140. Did you have to re-jet at all?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts