Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy's FLH was making a really loud tick coming from rear exhaust valve. He has hydraulic lifters and is nervous about adjusting valves. I have only ever had solid lifters, so my method may not be correct for him. When he closes that valve and the lifter is down in its cycle, I would think to adjust for a spinning freely pushrod at this point. Is this right?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
My buddy's FLH was making a really loud tick coming from rear exhaust valve. He has hydraulic lifters and is nervous about adjusting valves. I have only ever had solid lifters, so my method may not be correct for him. When he closes that valve and the lifter is down in its cycle, I would think to adjust for a spinning freely pushrod at this point. Is this right?
Close. Take the slack out, 1 3/4 turns (throught 77, 1 1/2 turns for newer) more, let the lifter bleed down until you can spin the pushrod, and go to the next one.

It's in the service manual.
Larry T

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, now i get it. 1 and 3/4 turn down after valve closes. Then wait until u can spin pushrod. How much time usually? Few minutes? Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts