Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
converting from starter to kickstart, put primary back together (chain drive) can't get clutch to engage feels loose, free no resistance, any suggestions, am I missing something also converting to foot clutch and jockey shift (4 speed ratchet top) can't find nuetral the jockey shift arm seems to be about a 180 degrees from original the pattern should be the same right? don't have chain on could it be I need to have tension or what any help would be great.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Adjust the pressure plate making sure it's sqare by measuring at each stud.Turn clutch adjusting screw until lever is all the way back.With pedal in the engaged position adjust the clutch pedal rod for eighth inch free play.Push pedal and see if pressure plate moves in and out.First gear with a ratchet jockey should be to the back.Each shift up should be to the front.The shift linkage removed from the ratchet can be to the top or bottom depending on the old shifter so it can seem to be backwards.No problem there.Help? -Strat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stratocaster said:
Adjust the pressure plate making sure it's sqare by measuring at each stud.Turn clutch adjusting screw until lever is all the way back.With pedal in the engaged position adjust the clutch pedal rod for eighth inch free play.Push pedal and see if pressure plate moves in and out.First gear with a ratchet jockey should be to the back.Each shift up should be to the front.The shift linkage removed from the ratchet can be to the top or bottom depending on the old shifter so it can seem to be backwards.No problem there.Help? -Strat.
thanks for the help i'll try that, as far as the jockey shift goes there may be what I was worried about, bought v-twin jockey shift arm think i'm not going to be able to clear primary (starter style primary case) can feel gear shift before getting anywhere near case but don't think it goes far enough back to engage first gear, do you know if the case is the problem or again could i need tension on tranny to engage, any suggestion other than tearing apart and fabricating different style shifter arm.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Tension doesn't enter into it.It should shift on the bench or in the bike.That clearance problem is a pain.I had to bend one of those to get into first.That's a long throw.If it's a rigid frame it'll bend to clear the primary but then it hit the oil tank.I ended up cutting the shifter and welding some round rod to it so I could form it to clear eveything.Someone else on the board can help.Need to know though- rigid or swingarm and what oil tank? One other thing is to change primary covers.-Strat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stratocaster said:
Tension doesn't enter into it.It should shift on the bench or in the bike.That clearance problem is a pain.I had to bend one of those to get into first.That's a long throw.If it's a rigid frame it'll bend to clear the primary but then it hit the oil tank.I ended up cutting the shifter and welding some round rod to it so I could form it to clear eveything.Someone else on the board can help.Need to know though- rigid or swingarm and what oil tank? One other thing is to change primary covers.-Strat.
thanks again, it is a rigid frame oil tank not a problem mounted aftermarket high tight under the seat. i was afraid that it was a "long throw" didn't want to tear it down the clutch plates where a pain in the ass to get on, can't get to the screws that hold the jockey shifter to the tranny without the inner primary off, I fabricated another shifter arm when I was waiting for the v-twin to come in I guess i'll just use it, thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts