Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive had the 76 ironhead for 4 days and Ive made some progress. We did the cables, finished installing the new carb and the seats almost done. Last night I made a side mount taillight for it. They wanted over a hundred bucks..shit man its only steel.
here are a couple pics. sorry if they are dark but its been raining here for 2 days

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
=mike= said:
I don't know if single 1/4 20 bolt will keep that tailight / license plate contraption stay in place . You should just make it attach to the axle insted if you want to mount it like that . .
Its hard to see but the way its installed it butts up against the frame, over the axle nut and between the fender brace bolts. keeping it inplace if it did managed to come lose....Oh and some lock tight.....you gotta have faith baby faith

·
motorcycle enthusiast
2,656 Posts
Oh I have a bit of faith ( and a little more experiance with rigid bikes ) . I'm not worried it would come loose , just that it would vibrate and maybe brake , since there is only one point of contact with the frame and that bracket looks a little heavy for just one bolt . You would be suprized what can come off a bike after a few hours bouncing down the road . Good luck I guess :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm with Mike on this one. That thing is going to break the way you have it set up. I would suggest using the axle as a mount as well, and adding gussets from the mount across the underside of the plate mounting surface. The vibrations will rattle that piece apart in days, especially if you ride it hard.

=mike= said:
Oh I have a bit of faith ( and a little more experiance with rigid bikes ) . I'm not worried it would come loose , just that it would vibrate and maybe brake , since there is only one point of contact with the frame and that bracket looks a little heavy for just one bolt . You would be suprized what can come off a bike after a few hours bouncing down the road . Good luck I guess :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I forgot to say that the bike is looking good too. The seat is a welcome change from the original photos.

For what it's worth, when I had to lay my bike down a few months ago, my Fab Kevin tail light bracket kept the left side of the bike from getting wiped out without so much as bending.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Big Fink said:
I'm with Mike on this one. That thing is going to break the way you have it set up. I would suggest using the axle as a mount as well, and adding gussets from the mount across the underside of the plate mounting surface. The vibrations will rattle that piece apart in days, especially if you ride it hard.
Yea, me too. I've braced and gussetted side mount tags and watched them vibrate like a tuning fork when you crank the scooter.
They do look good on a scooter without a bitchbar, but sometimes the PITA factor outweighs the cool. If you're gonna run one build it stout. The "thick aluminum" mounts (not gonna use the B word) seem to hold up to the vibration pretty well.
Larry T

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
=mike= said:
Here is a link to Kevin's tailight page . check em out . $80 is pretty good for something that you could lean your bike over on and park it :)

There is no such thing as " overkill " on a rigid motorcycle as far as structural form is concerned .

tail light brackets
Its made and will be beefed up Im gonna run it til it falls off.....2mins to 20yrs

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Lets put it this way I have lost 2 taillamps and one complete assy light plate and all on my rigid.The last unit was built out of 1/2 steel rod and it broke it clean in 2.Triangulation is the key to strength and make two mounting points to the frame.You need to remember that its like them cartoons where a guy gets hit in the head and the vibration travels to his feet.That weight hangin out there is taken all the vibes all the time.

Okay enough about the tail lamp I want pictures of the tool bag and mirrors.:D
Shoe
Draglinkscc said:
Its made and will be beefed up Im gonna run it til it falls off.....2mins to 20yrs

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.