Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did an intro awile back so here goes my question . got a pretty close to stock 75 iron head xlh electic start only left side shift with cross over shaft setup . this is going in an old AEE frame . i would like to switch to right hand shift . if i understand right 74 was the last right side and 75-76 was kinda a band aid until the full switch in 77 ? how hard wood it be to change over and what kinda money are we talkin ? i did look thru tech arcives and didnt see anything but i suck at computors so maybe i missed it. dont know if it matters but the motor ran until i pulled it out yesterday. thank in advance ...took me a half hour to type this

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
nah you need to take the tranny apart and change out for the longer shaft splines that goes out past the cam cover. If you have the engine apart anyways it is just a matter of sticking the 74 type shift shaft in.

Roach will have the full info

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
easy swap i like the sound of that . i guess its time to start lookin for parts thanks for the info. would still like to hear any other advice tips tricks from you guys who have done this

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
easy swap i like the sound of that . i guess its time to start lookin for parts thanks for the info. would still like to hear any other advice tips tricks from you guys who have done this
My best advise is to not strip any of the case threads when you tighten the trap door up. ;)

Oh, and when you go to change the shaft out, if you're doing it alone, put the shifter shaft in the hole and use a pair of vise grips on the outside to hold it in the correct position so it engages in the shifting mechanism...and use grease to hold all the needle bearings in place that fall out when you pull the trans.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
You will need a spring compressor for the clutch spring, unless you are a 350 lb body builder. Plus, you need to pull the front sprocket, along with the clutch hub, so you will need some way to lock the sprockets together, and a long pull bar to get the front and rear nut off, then you can get to the trans. So before you go jumping in, make sure you have the tools to do it. A impact wrench will take front nut and rear clutch nut off, but again, you will have to have one, to use one. The transmission can be pulled without taking the whole mainshaft out, meaning you can leave the output side and chain and sprocket installed. If you pull the whole trans, you will need to pull the rear exhaust pipe, kicker cover, disconnect the drive chain, and remove the drive sprocket. When you pull it that way, the bearings will fall out. They are about 3/16ths diameter and 1.25 long. To reinstall the bearings, you stuff grease in the race, dip the roller in grease and stack from the bottom up. You have to be careful putting the mainshaft through, or you will push them all out, and they always fall in a pile of dirt. Other than that, it is pretty simple.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im down to about 290 pounds so ill get the spring compresor out, impact not a problem what do i need to lock the sprockets together ? one more question and maybe i should of asked this first but is this somethig thats done it a hundred times should be doing ? i do have some trans expirience but more of the sagiwa 3 speed (59 chevy truck) and two turbo 350s ,the first one turned out fine second not so much ,type

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i meant some one who has done this a 100 times as opposed to me never havin taken a sporty tranny apart

·
Registered
60 Posts
NUMBER ONE: If ya don't have um awready, get into and read up the Sportster service manuals, for the early, RH shifter you're going to, and also the '74-era Sportster with the foot-long shifter lever that-looks-like-a-brake-lever that you're trying to get away from.

Have them both open for quick reference the whole time you're making the change, and you'll be an experienced Sportster transmission man by the time you're done! Piece of cake, but follow everything in the manuals, and the good advice above. Remember that some special tools are REQUIRED.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
You can make the clutch lock bars and the spring compression tools yourself with a hacksaw vice and drill. The clutch hub locking plate is available on amazon.com for the best price. Barnett clutches tools, just MAKE SURE you get the right year 72 to 84 I think.

As said befor don,t strip the door bolt threads. And when you put in the new bush into the cam cover make sure to complete the hole for the grease zirc fitting there so you can actually grease the shaft. As it is on a 75 cover the hole is not completely through.

Dragsters and d roach talked a guy through complete and extensive rebuild on an ironhead traany.

Gluck and welcome to the board

1 - 12 of 12 Posts