Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello gents, and thanx ahead of time for any help offered...
i am rebuilding my old triumph, i have been at it for quite a while, and am finally closing in. i have switched out the old coils it had for an accel supercoil in the rebuild. my accel supercoil directions tell me the spark generated by them is much stronger than the original equipment, and i must make sure the jets in my carburators are adequate to avoid a possible lean fuel condition which could result in an overheated or possibly damaged engine..
so my question is "what adjustments if any do i need to make to my carbs to run with this coil?"
the bike has: amal 930 carbs rebuilt, boyer brandson electronic ignition, sparx high output alternator.. and said accel supercoil.. it is a 1974 750 bonnie... thanx again...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
my accel supercoil directions tell me the spark generated by them is much stronger than the original equipment, and i must make sure the jets in my carburators are adequate to avoid a possible lean fuel condition which could result in an overheated or possibly damaged engine..
so my question is "what adjustments if any do i need to make to my carbs to run with this coil?"
That's all hype. All the spark does is light the fire. It won't make a correctly balanced combustion mixture burn with a higher temperature. If your air fuel mixture is correct, you won't need any adjustments. If you've any doubts, just read the plugs for signs of an incorrect mixture.

Bob

·
Registered
243 Posts
More important is the primary resistance of that coil. Boyers operate between 3 and 7 ohms pri. resistance. The closer to 3 the stronger the spark,closer to 7 the weaker. Don't try to run less than 3 as while the spark will be "killer", the black box will cook itself. I've been running a 3.5 ohm coil for over 20 years with a boyer and great spark with excellent reliability.Jack

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Hotter spark does not mean hotter combustion...never had much faith in Accel products anyhow. Like Bob said, it's hype...follow his recommendations and you'll be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.